myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Am I advanced enough to get into foiling?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsurfert0gr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Am I advanced enough to get into foiling? Reply with quote

I can: Plane in straps, hooked-in, beach start and occasionally water-start
I can’t: Jibe, consistently water-start, all the other stuff in windsurfing.

I would like to get into foiling as I feel like it will give me more TOW, plus it looks fun and I can use smaller gear. Like the title suggests, can I make the step up if I haven’t mastered water-starts and jibing?

If and when I am ready, I also need some advice on boards as I currently have too many and don’t want to spend too much out of pocket on a foil. So I would preferably like to sell one or two of them and then use that money to buy a foil to hopefully attach to one of my other boards.

Here they are:
Starboard Start 225L 1m wide
Starboard isonic 145L 88cm wide
Bic Techno Formula 170L 93.5cm wide
Bic Techno 133L 70cm wide

Sails: 11.7m, 9m, 7.5m, 6.3m, 5.5m.

My initial thought was sell the Techno formula and 11.7m^2 rig as I hardly use it and it doesn’t have a traditional deep tuttle like the starboards. Use that cash towards a foil to attach to the Start at first, then eventually the isonic.

Also which foil should I look at and should I buy a used one (once there are some on the used market) to keep the cost down?

Thanks
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long has it taken to get to your current level?
hilton08

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can uphaul on the isonic then you can foil on the isonic - waterstarts not required.
Can you do a low speed, non-planning jibe? That is the first step before attempting to jibe on the foil.
I would think the Start board and 9.0 sail are too big and heavy to foil on so you could probably sell those also eventually.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can foil.

Be careful what foil you get. I am starting on the http://www.neilpryde.com/rs-flight-al-aluminium-foil/foils/aluminium-foil.html and it is very stable.

I believe if you start on a less stable foil it will make it much harder.

I suggest at least 86cm wide board. You will not be using your two biggest sails.

Here are some reviews. https://www.windsurf.boutique/actus/comparatifs-windfoils.html
windsurfert0gr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant - It took me at least 8 years to get to my level. One year in there I didn't sail at all and the last 5 years, I sailed less than 10 times annually, usually around 5. Hopefully this Fall I will be able to sail much more regularly going forward.

Hilton - I can uphaul easily and slow jibe on the isonic but it's never pretty.

Bryan, I am following your thread about your experience learning to foil, thanks that will definitely help if I get a foil. I read that article you linked to and it seems as though the NP Aluminium looks like a great value and suitable for a beginner. My isonic is 88cm wide so hopefully it will be wide enough.

If anyone is interested here is the google translation of the foil coparo because my French currently does not exist: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=https://www.windsurf.boutique/actus/comparatifs-windfoils.html&prev=search
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the English translation.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd sell the Start, Formula and largest sail. Having a super heavy board just causes problems on the foil. The swing weight in front of the mast makes the board "hunt" back and forth.
The Isonic is darn near ideal but I'd be concerned about the fin box unless you get a foil with a flanged top like Manta, Slingshot or Zeeko.
hilton08

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

add LP to your list of windsurf foils with the flange on the base.

http://www.lpfoils.com/product-page/frs-series-windsurf

without this lip to transfer some of the upward force to the bottom skin of the board, the foil will be trying to shove the finbox out through the top deck of the board.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you wanna sell your BTF/Bic Techno Formula
i may have a buyer
i pm'ed you but no response
thanks
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foiling requires more balance than windsurfing. Basic windsurfing skills are a must before you get into foiling. Balance and sail skills from windsurfing make the transition to foiling easier. You do not need to water start to foil. Up hauling is require while learning to foil. The general rule while learning is if there is enough wind to water start than your sail is to big to foil. Race foils require a wide board and a larger sail to control and get flying. Free ride foils
work with narrower boards and fly at lower wind speeds. Sling Shot foiling has a really good intro into windsurf foiling. Its called Flight school. Its free and its on their site. Watch this and decide if your ready to fly or you might need a little more time to develop your skills. Windance board shop has a pretty cheap option on a foil that can be fitted to any fin box. Foil Works foils.
talk to Dave the shop owner and he will help you out....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: