myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board Beached on Brooks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsrf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Board Beached on Brooks? Reply with quote

Alliteration anyone?

Today at Pt. Isabel launch a kayaker (unusual occurrence also) reported to Richard that a "black board" was spotted on the rocks on Brooks Island. Probably its SE corner area.

This is third-hand report, so no additional details or certainty/timing.

Perhaps drifted down from TI or Crissy?

Thought I'd share.

David
jonbek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s probably my board!

I had my sail and board come apart a few months ago, about 2 miles north of TI, and underestimated how quickly the small waves would take it out of my reach.

I ended up needing a rescue, luckily I had a radio and Daniel crossed paths with me and waited around to increase my visibility.

I searched the Albany bulb for a few hours the next day but eventually gave up.

The board I lost is an Exocet 118L slalom, and it has a huge conspicuous carbon fiber repair on the top.
windsrf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds likely. I didn't see it myself, nor did Richard, so unclear on exact location or condition.

Good Luck with any retrieval effort. Probably easiest approach would be to launch a kayak from Vincent Park beach just north of NE corner of Brooks? In the AM to avoid wind/chop.

Cheers, David
windsrf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious - were you using a single-bolt mast base?

Or maybe your mast base tendon sheared off?
tstizzle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonbek wrote:
I had my sail and board come apart a few months ago, about 2 miles north of TI

you can't just tease us like that. it may seem like no big deal after it's over, but as a TI sailor i def want to know more. easy? hard? how long for CG? radio or cell? did you mayday, pan pan, etc. inquiring minds!
jonbek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been meaning to do a detailed write up so everyone can learn.

Basics are that the single bolt base was loose and slid halfway, then I dropped the sail and of fully detached, and the wind got under the board and flicked it slightly.

I should have swam for it immediately, but I tended to my sail for maybe 30 seconds before deciding I should ditch it and go for flotation.

Then realized I couldn't swim fast enough to get to the board, returned to the sail (it floats!) for more visibility.

Daniel came by to help. I called the coast guard, talked about 20 minutes and they never sent anyone.

Eventually a charter sailboat happened to cross paths and they picked me up. They weren't even listening to our radio conversation, just dumb luck.

I have a GoPro video, it was recording for 27 mins once I stopped it on the boat. Got a nice video of the board detaching, and some of the CG conversation.

Feet were starting to get cold for sure with booties on. Glad they got me on that boat when they did. I realized later that I probably could have swam to one of the bouys out there and climbed out of the water.

Last edited by jonbek on Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
windsrf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for details.

I'm a fervent believer in two-bolt bases for just that reason.

Glad it worked out well for you in most respects - but for board.

Sounds like it's probably toast given two months of wave/rock action.
jonbek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing is that I had just ordered my first brand new board and it arrived a about a week after that. I really love that new board!

I was sad to lose a sentimental old board, but most of all I felt bad for putting a big piece of plastic trash into the ocean. I'll see if I can SUP out there some day soon to retrieve it.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one-bolt and 2-bolt unis get loose and slide out of the mast track. each happened once (so far). lesson learned is to check my uni tightness, even if it has two bolts.

The two-bolt disconnect happened outside the golden gate bridge. luckily a friend was nearby and helped me get it back together loosely well enough to sail back down to the launch.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
VinceSF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonbek wrote:
I should have swam for it immediately, but I tended to my sail for maybe 30 seconds before deciding I should ditch it and go for flotation.
30 seconds is far too long! the board is your only safety net. If you must do one thing is let go of the sail and get the board. Then get back to the sail.
jonbek wrote:
Then realized I couldn't swim fast enough to get to the board, returned to the sail (it floats!) for more visibility.

Indeed! Surprisingly a sail will float for a while. Last year the coast guard found a full rig a day after the incident.

jonbek wrote:
Daniel came by to help. I called the coast guard, talked about 20 minutes and they never sent anyone.

You should have said you were a kiter. Rolling Eyes Confused [/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: