myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Step/flip vs. Flip/step vs. Flip/sail out switch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to take freestyle or wave riding advice from someone afraid to ride toeside.

As for the rest, carry on.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
I'm not going to take freestyle or wave riding advice from someone afraid to ride toeside.

When have I ever offered any such advice?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:

Let me guess: you've never had knee or ankle injuries with lifelong consequences. I involuntarily physically cringe just seeing someone else's ankle being exposed to external stresses, given my years of pain and seven decades of disabilities from ankle injuries beginning in early childhood. No WSing season and no stunt I can imagine is worth that risk to me. I felt much safer racing dirt bikes at 90 mph around Moab.

How do any of you extract that front foot when it gets trapped in its strap when it fails to come out in a jibe or you go toeside/switchside in an overexuberant slash? When that happens, I have three overriding priorities in this order: 1) DO. NOT. FALL., 2) GET THAT FOOT UNSTUCK, and, failing #2, 3) stop and drop under full control. Nothing else matters to me at that point. The same applies if a back foot slips out while airborne.
daviddk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:

It's hard to take ANY windsurf advice from someone who claims to be able to over ride the laws of physics, that he's a better jiber than Peter Hart and Josh Stone, that he jumps higher than just about every windsurfer in the Gorge, that people regularly stand up and applaud him when he gets off the water, blah, blah, blah...
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show us where I've made any of those claims. Tip: there's no partial credit for distorting what I've actually said.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
isobars wrote:
I can't imagine a bigger, deeper, less imaginative, more constraining, time- and ground- and chop-consuming rut than the step jibe for an OP whose stated objectives include freestyle and waves and exclude racing.

That's because you have limited experience

Isn't that true of all the regular posters here? Yet doesn't each of us have some experiences and/or skills many others lack? What normal (again, as opposed to animal-named) jibe loses more ground and time and clobbers more chop than the step jibe as represented in almost every step jibe instructional video?

PeconicPuffin wrote:
1. The step jibe is the fastest planing jibe to learn, and the most versatile (though some people learn to plane through on duck jibes first. More should try adding the duck jibe to the learning process.)

I've been told by many people since about 1984 that ducks are easier to learn than steps. No argument there. But not everyone finds steps the quickest to learn, and I don't understand how step jibes excel in versatility. I've discussed many drawbacks to them many times. I've discussed for close to two decades the time it took me to learn step jibes vs TTGG: Former: a decade. Latter: ONE TRY. Adding the simultaneous foot-shuffle (Cort Larned dubbed it the Fick Shuffle") took another session.

Yet everyone here seems to be afraid of even trying it. I'll bet you guys would be all over it if someone declared it a freestyle trick.

OK, here we go: The simultaneous TTGG rig flip done simultaneously with the unweighted foot jibe is hereby declared a freestyle trick ... with many practical benefits.

PeconicPuffin wrote:
2. Excessively running downwind, and or slapping into the back of chop is mediocre jibing no matter what the rig and footwork strategy is.

I agree almost totally. So why do most jibe videos, including the one liked above, show these GIANT, LONG, DRAWN-OUT arcs that look hundreds of feet long? And in really nasty chop, it's all but impossible to hit some chop even in the tightest carved jibes. That's where Gittn' Er Done shines.

PeconicPuffin wrote:
3. Anyone working on freestyle needs to develop the facility and mind set that ALL sequences and orientations are workable. Sail first or feet first. Regular or switchstance. Mast first or clew first. One hand or two etc. "Hopping Howie" (nice citation boardsurfr!) throws a world of moves and is great fun to watch...he can also step jibe.

Fully agree. Too bad most of you so vehemently disagree with your "ALL sequences and orientations are workable", especially when "techniques" is added.

PeconicPuffin wrote:
4. re "I can't imagine" you imagine yourself jibing throwing walls of water and having "no discernible loss of speed" (so its natural you have an aversion to video.) A sailor who can manage to only lose 5mph of board speed in a jibe is ripping (unless they're coming in slow to begin with) but if you can't discern a loss of 5mph you're a poor judge of speed. And perhaps "walls of water".

How can any extremely tight, high-speed carved jibe not throw up a sheet of spray? Even a 90-degree, strapped- and hooked-in slash often throws up so much water that it rains down heavily on the rider during his ensuing bottom turn in onshore conditions such as the Gorge.

The speed loss thing has been beaten to death. Most readers understand it by now.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philodog wrote:
Be careful PP. You are risking getting put in his 'kill file' with those words.

Surely you know that the Puffman was among its charter members.
I've explained several times why I sometimes lower my shields and wallow in the muck.
daviddk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kill file is another one of iso's imaginary stories created to give the illusion that he is a brilliant computer programmer when he is not on the water throwing huge sprays of water while both feet are off the board.
daviddk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Show us where I've made any of those claims. Tip: there's no partial credit for distorting what I've actually said.

You have absolutely no concept how much you're demanding of my time, nor its impact on me, my wife's time, and my treatments and procedures . The ONLY reason I've spent so much time in this thread has been my mission to help anyone who asks for help with a roadblock that took me far more time and frustration than any other aspect of WSing ... hell, of my life: the planing jibe. Your and others' "My Way or the Highway" attempts to stifle that are uninformed, arrogant, and disgusting.
Bendover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendover idiots we sorry to add, but one search for downhall when flex top mast just give this..

isobars? written

" I doubt the crowd who literally applauded me as I came off the water one evening last summer thought my dusk sesh was in a "rut".

Mike \m/"

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/rec.windsurfing/14C3Z4X7DrE

Hehehejeje! We know not which most funny :

A, isobars appear to written that!   literaly.
B. writte in thread about sailing no hands (and the about clapping.. but maybe just cheer8ng?)
C, isobars written here this thread 'Show us where I've made any of those claims. Tip: there's no partial credit for distorting what I've actually said  " to daviddk who written "It's hard to take ANY windsurf advice from someone who claims .. that people regularly stand up and applaud him when he gets off the water,"

Now Shown 1 claim.

Bendover idiots do read written" one even8ng" not "regular" and not know about "crowd' "stand8ng up " (maybe jst ord8nary "people" sitting down)?

WHo cares? but of course isobars written but then written didnt'. over over and over. ...bend what written! BE CARE FUL. How bend written now? Over?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 26 of 27

Jump to: