myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rounding up question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider it likely or possible that you exceeded downhaul. Ezzy sails dont like excessive D/H and behave badly.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the same about down hauling moving the draft forward. When I got my first Ezzy 4 batten Elite, I was having a lot of back hand pressure so I kept adding down haul. I just could not get a nice balance feeling sail. I sent pictures of my rigged sail to David Ezzy and he called me while I was on a month long windsurfing trip. He spent a half hour going over rigging and tuning his sails. After reviewing the pictures, he said my sail was over down hauled causing the draft to move back. After easing the down haul and adding out haul the sail worked perfectly. He also told me that it was best to set the sail down haul to the mid setting and match the out haul to the mid clue string. If the sail felt back handed or over powered to add more out haul before adding any down haul. One of his rigging video's explains this a lot better than I could. Its pretty cool when the guy who designed my sail took time to make sure I got the most out of my investment.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rounding up Reply with quote

Sacandagalady wrote:
I guess the fact that I'm out sailing at my age (63) and still improving is more than I could hope for.

Naaaah. At 75 I'm still clearly improving some of my most rewarding skills almost every day. Sure, I'm losing ground in a couple of skills, but overall I'm winning that battle ... I think. Hang in there.

BTW ... I hope to heck you head south in the winter. I would never have gotten into this sport if I had stayed in Rome (NY).

And I've never seen a sail that was downhauled adequately without its boom opening being as tight as a drum.

Mike \m/
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN, let me clarify. If we start with a sail properly rigged and tuned for lightest conditions in flat water, adding DH will bring the center of effort down and forward. That's what I had in mind about draft because most people talk about a moving draft when actually they feel a moving COE. Adding DH to a sail when rigging does move the draft back as the mast bends, and adding too much downhaul may also move the draft back at a certain point depending on the mast/sail combo.

Adding DH does help keep the COE forward as the apparent wind increases. Increasing OH will move the draft forward. That's why, as I'm sure you know but for the sake of those may not, DH and OH settings almost always change together when starting with a properly rigged and at least nearly tuned sail.

David's dedication to personal customer service is exemplary.

Sacandagalady

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: To Isobars Reply with quote

Thanks Isobars,

I guess I have a few years left then if I follow in your footsteps! Instead of worrying so much about turning, I have focused more of my time on planing and have done well with big sails without catapulting. Changing the "pull" on my sail in gusts that I seem to sail in frequently as well as in changing wind directions mid-sail has me pretty pleased as far as progress this year.

And no, unfortunately I stay in Upstate New York year round and don't even leave the area to sail much of anywhere.....ugh....winter felt like it was out there today and I did sail!

Sacandagalady
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: