myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fin surface area seems too small. Comments?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theq

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
side to sideoff perfect! You'll love the board. What's your weight?

Around 76 kilograms.

manuel wrote:
What size waves? Choppy wave face?

Anywhere from chest to logo-high on the size. Mostly head-high or so though.
Waves are generally very smooth, except it can get a little "mutant-like" near the couple of reefs you pass through at lower tides, and/or larger swells.

manuel wrote:
Tony has the same quad here and it's fine even on our messy sideon. Only thing watch out for low volume up front apparently.

Thanks. I'm a bit of a back-footer, so that might be handy with this one. I have been getting further forward though, as I watch my forward-footing buddies keeping speed through sections, etc. Cheers.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 250 refers to the area which is designated cm2
Of all four fins total.So length in that 250/300
Is not really addressed.

Without a comparable size board I would listen to thoughts
But make your own mind up. 13.5 tears are small

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering in details. The 250 is written on the back fins or both back and front? You could have 300 up front but 250 out back. Let's see what your measurements show.
theq

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call, manuel. The fins are marked as you stated might be the case, 300 on the fronts, and 250 on the backs. The fronts seem rather tiny, but they at least started out as 300 fronts. The true measurements today have the fronts at 8.25cm and the rears at 13.625 cm. Thanks for continuing the conversation.

BTW: capetonian mentioned riding the quad as a twin-fin. Interestingly, I don't see that there's anything written in the Quatro blurbs that say this is possible. Maybe it is, but just doesn't say it. Or maybe the outline, tail width, and fin placement might make it less workable. Any thoughts on that are appreciated as well. Cheers.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is still a bit light. If you were 60-65 kg, sailing 4.2/4.5 I think it'd be fine but on 5's and at 76 kg... You do sail side, side-off though. Do you know spend your time around the break, working the wave or do you go bump & jump out back?

Only in side-on you need to point, side-side-on too when you do several turns down the line (rare) or somewhere where current pushes you downwind. Am I wrong?

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012 Tabou Da Curve 85L 16s and 9s. One or more years Tabou , did not propose using as a twin, it had to do with the placement of the rear set.

I dont recall any more than that.
If Quatro had a opinion to ride as a twin it would be in print.

Your board has mini tuttle fronts/sides and short USBox rears, US will limit to fins base that are short enough to fit. Nothing wrong just FYI.

I see no reason to ride a quad as a twin, aside missing a fin .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
theq

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@manuel: You might be right, perhaps it is more side-on at the times of the biggest struggle? There's a point above the break that puts the inside in a shadow a lot of the time, so it spends a bit of its time side to side-off. At those times, it may not be as much about the fins as it is about the lack of power. Capetonian knows the break, so perhaps he can comment on the prevailing wind conditions.

When I wave ride I try to stay as close to the breaking wave as possible. I'm hoping to get a bit more radical near the pocket with the quad, but I'm also fighting age. Sad We share our spot with surfers, so many times we're forced further down the line than we'd like. We try to keep the peace, which can be difficult.

@U2U2U2:
I think that 15.5-16cm backs, with 9cm fronts sounds like a good place to be with this board. Thanks again for your input. Cheers.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand. It may also depend on how fin-dependent the board is.
You can start with the fins spread apart. Anyone available to lend you a set?
Do you have any feedback from the previous owner?

capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:

If Quatro had a opinion to ride as a twin it would be in print.

I forget which interview it was, but Marcilio Browne said that he rides his Goya custom quads as twins in cross onshore conditions. Not a Quatro board, but closely related.

All of my wave boards are either Goya or Quatro. I started trying my light wind board (Quatro Cube 110) as a twin while living on Oahu in 2015, and l liked it so much I changed all my boards to twins, even for cross off sailing. The benefits are earlier planing, easier to pump onto a wave, quicker turning on the wave. The disadvantages are not as controlled when sailing overpowered, and unless you upsize the fins (i.e. if quad set up is 16/10, should go to 17 twins), you lose the ability to truck upwind as easily. For me the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages as I live in a light wind area.
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:

When they impact , they dont nick so much like a G10 would, think more like a RTM, resin transfer mold , fin. They are easy to bring back into shape.
They cost near half what a fancy G10 would, and give the sailer room to experiment.
I sail a rocky glacier lake in Maine and Hatteras sound. Shallow and rocky beyond words.

Living in (mostly) sandy Florida when I've needed new fins I've bought K4 fins because they are so cheap. Currently all my wave boards are finned with K4 fins. However I travel to the Caribbean regularly to get my wind fix, and learnt very quickly that reef and K4 fins are not friends, having destroyed 2 fins beyond repair sailing Gwada in Guadeloupe. So now I keep a set of G10 fins for travel, and just use the K4s in Florida.

Knowing the break that Theq sails, K4 fins would be lucky to last one session there, that spot is one of the worst spots I've ever sailed for sharp rocks in the launch area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: