myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Main Road to Candlestick Point windsurfing Nomore!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chand2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Use Gilman from 3rd Street to Get to the Stick Reply with quote

You can still go windsurf at the Stick if you approach from the East. Just take 3rd Street to Gilman. Gilman will take you right to the windsurf area. Its not so difficult so that you can't go anymore!
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys might want to reach out to the SFBA. I believe that Candlestick Point is part of the Bay Trail with water access protected by BCDC. Any change in that access requires BCDC approval. The SFBA will ultimately be using this to enhance access at Treasure Island and to push back if the GGNRA decides to reconfigure the parking lot again next year in a manner that seriously degrades our water access there.

I don't sail Candlestick anymore but I might if it was a nice park at the edge of mixed use neighborhood. In a city and region that is desperately in need of more housing, this sure seems like a reasonable place to put it.

Back in the nineties, you not only had to deal with park closures for the Niners for 8 plus games a year but 81 Giants game (whose season is the exact same as windsurfing season)
Goodwind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that there is not much SFBA can do. I believe the closed roadway was there to handle the heavy traffic during 49ers and Giants games, and it's not included in the redevelopment plan (see the Candlestick Point SRA General Plan I posted earlier). In fact, the land will become part of the water front park. However, it is imperative that we keep a close eye on the State Park's implementation plan, making sure that they don't move the windsurfing launch down to Hermit's Cove per parks.ca.gov's ALTERNATIVE 4 -Recreation by the Bay. Too much wind shadow.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26103

From now on, everyone must drive through an unattractive section of S.F. in order to get to the State Park. Hey, sail early! With decent wind, "The Naked Gun" was out sailing today. Also, on a positive note, the donuts crowd was not there and won't be there anymore.

Water view.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.27 KB
 Viewed:  14016 Time(s)

Water view.jpg

Street view.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  175.23 KB
 Viewed:  14016 Time(s)

Street view.jpg

dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked with the construction workers today and they said that they are going to put asphalt on the new road tomorrow, and reopen the connection to the freeway on Thursday. Even if they delay a few more days we are good: there is going to be a road to get to Stick from the freeway exits without having to go through 3rd street.

Last edited by dvCali on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome news!
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davide is right. Our normal travel route is open for business again. With a huge amount of dirt piling onto the road the other day, I assumed that the road was permanently gone. As it turns out, they just elevated a section of the road by some 20-30 ft (difference between top of the hill and the original roadside wood fence, as show on the following pics). Now we have to go up and down a hill for whatever reasons. Regardless, we have our road back.

IMG_4538__1539410998_71.202.127.133 side.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  218.57 KB
 Viewed:  13710 Time(s)

IMG_4538__1539410998_71.202.127.133 side.jpg

IMG_4540__1539410922_71.202.127.133 road.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  170.96 KB
 Viewed:  13710 Time(s)

IMG_4540__1539410922_71.202.127.133 road.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: