myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Let's Start a Trade War
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The village idiot said:

Quote:
Do you liberals all use the same playbook??? please!!!!

You mean check the facts? Indeed, that is what separates us from the village idiots who want to see a "bro" who is a mean drunk on the Supreme Court.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
The village idiot said:

Quote:
Do you liberals all use the same playbook??? please!!!!

You mean check the facts? Indeed, that is what separates us from the village idiots who want to see a "bro" who is a mean drunk on the Supreme Court.

Like I said moron I value the opinion of established experts in the field, not some flunky school teacher who thinks he's the smartest guy in the world.

aka Jerk of all trades. How'd that stock market thing work out for you.....MORON.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And have you posted any of the opinions of these smart people--I will stipulate that they would be smarter than you? Or just the conclusions, without attribution, which is why you failed to finish college.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
And have you posted any of the opinions of these smart people--I will stipulate that they would be smarter than you? Or just the conclusions, without attribution, which is why you failed to finish college.

Mac just has a chip on his shoulder because all that schooling simply turned him into an angry old under achiever. Did they let you put little pictures up in that cubicle you spent your career in?

I'll get back to you when I hear some real opinions from people that actually understand economics, not some washed up clown who spends his days on forums trying to bully people....

I miss mrgybe he did a great job of exposing you for the hateful clown you are....Much smarter than me or you and you treated him the same way. At least you're an equal opportunity DB.

Last edited by mat-ty on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
mac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Established experts, with a citation? Retweeting tRump tweets, without attribution, is called plagiarism. Can't do it, can you? You can call people names, but thinking critically is a step too far. As with your POTUS, you can invent whatever is needed to justify your hatred.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Established experts, with a citation? Retweeting tRump tweets, without attribution, is called plagiarism. Can't do it, can you? You can call people names, but thinking critically is a step too far. As with your POTUS, you can invent whatever is needed to justify your hatred.

Macs meds are wearing off....How many diapers have you gone through today?.

This sounds mostly postive from the WSJ...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-touts-new-trade-pact-with-canada-and-mexico-1538410785
mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Matty's article is only available to subscribers. Here is a fairly balanced article, with some benefits to the Trump team:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/01/business/trump-nafta-usmca-differences.html

Canada's trade with the US in 2017 was $581 billion, second to only China. Mexico is third. Trump was never going to be able to rip up these agreements, and I'll forgive his belligerence if there really is a lot to be gained. Of course, contrary to Matty's initial claim, MSM covered the story--with facts, not with the reverence that Trump and Matty want for agent orange.

The two key elements in the deal that provide benefits:

Quote:
The agreement sets new rules for automobile production, meant to incentivize production of cars and trucks in countries that pay higher wages. It reduces barriers for American dairy farmers to sell cheese, milk and other products to Canada.

Steve Bannon argues that the Trump agenda is oriented towards restoring manufacturing to the US. Some of that is present in the Canada deal, which increases, over time, the "made in North America" requirement from 62.5% to 75%. As I read it, however, there is no guarantee that these jobs are in American as opposed to Canada.

The most interesting two things about this requirement are first, the abandonment of market purism by the GOP, and second, the utter hypocrisy. Under Trump, government becomes the entity that puts its thumb on the scale of market forces. A very Democratic party approach.

Second, since nearly all the significant gains are to automakers, it is interesting to contrast this intervention in the market, which folks like Matty wet their pants over, and the efforts of Obama to rescue the American auto industry (and require massive restructuring and reform), which the right universally panned.

I know that most of the righties on this forum can't spell hypocrisy.

This is part of a large right wing effort of believing that history started with Trump. You can see a fairly even-handed discussion of NAFTA here: https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/naftas-economic-impact

NAFTA was negotiated by Bush, and was a follow on to a number of different agreements with Canada that removed barriers to trade. See https://www.referenceforbusiness.com/encyclopedia/Thir-Val/U-S-Canada-Free-Trade-Agreement-of-1989.html

These are Republican policies that I generally supported, reasoning that tying the world together economically with financial arrangements of mutual benefit would reduce war. But lost in the hoopla for Trump's tweaking is the fact that the requirement for 62.5% manufacture in North America came directly out of NAFTA. It also seemed to have stimulate the economy in significant ways. From the CFR article:

Quote:
Economists largely agree that NAFTA has provided benefits to the North American economies. Regional trade increased sharply [PDF] over the treaty’s first two decades, from roughly $290 billion in 1993 to more than $1.1 trillion in 2016. Cross-border investment has also surged, with U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) stock in Mexico increasing in that period from $15 billion to more than $100 billion. But experts also say that it has proven difficult to tease out the deal’s direct effects from other factors, including rapid technological change

Covered by the main stream media--for those who bothered to read. Trump's changes are beneficial--but less so than the original NAFTA. Fox will not cover that aspect. The threat to American workers remains automation. However, automation also represents a potential benefit to American workers, and I believe that whichever party can figure out a way to make that happen, and explain it to folks whose attention span is 140 characters, will lead us into the future.
real-human

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford announces plan to lay off workers after tariffs cost them $1B
real-human

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will never return to high levels as once their supply side is making a lot they will then beat the USA on price. Because they did it to themselves it is hard for me to feel too bad for them, except it does harm the usa long term.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-trade-war-delivers-farm-boom-brazil-gloom-071855354--finance.html

Trump trade war delivers farm boom in Brazil, gloom in Iowa

Reuters
By Jake Spring and Tom Polansek
,Reuters•October 11, 2018
A
Quote:
n overview of an upscale neighborhood with many undergoing constructions in Luis Eduardo Magalhaes, Bahia state, Brazil September 12, 2018. REUTERS/Ricardo Moraes
1 / 9
An overview of an upscale neighborhood with many undergoing constructions in Luis Eduardo Magalhaes
An overview of an upscale neighborhood with many undergoing constructions in Luis Eduardo Magalhaes, Bahia state, Brazil September 12, 2018. REUTERS/Ricardo Moraes
By Jake Spring and Tom Polansek

LUÍS EDUARDO, Brazil/BOONE, Iowa (Reuters) - The Bella Vita luxury condominium tower rises 20 stories over the boomtown of Luís Eduardo Magalhães in northeastern Brazil. Its private movie theater and helipad are symbols of how far this dusty farming community has come since it was founded just 18 years ago.

Local soybean producers shell out upwards of a half-million U.S. dollars to live in the complex. Nearby farm equipment sellers, car dealerships and construction supply stores are bustling too.

Meanwhile, nearly 5,000 miles to the north in Boone, Iowa, farmers are hunkering down. At a recent agriculture trade show here, Iowa corn and soybean grower Steve Sheppard reflected the cautious mood.

"I'm not buying any machinery, I'm not spending any money," Sheppard said.

Two countries. Same business. Two very different fates. The reason: China.

A growing trade war between the United States and China is re-ordering the global grains business. In response to Trump administration tariffs on Chinese goods, Beijing this year imposed levies on U.S. agricultural products. Among them was a 25 percent tariff on soybeans, the single most valuable U.S. farm export. U.S. growers sold $12 billion worth to China last year alone.

The fallout has been quick. China, the world's largest importer of soybeans, has scaled back purchases of U.S. grain to feed its massive hog herd.

It is turning instead to Brazil, which has ridden the wave of Chinese demand for two decades to become a global agricultural powerhouse. Brazilian soybean exports to the Asian country jumped 22 percent by value between January and September, compared to the same period a year ago.

Brazilian producers are not only selling more grain, their soy is fetching $2.83 more per bushel than beans from the United States, up from a premium of just $0.60 a year ago, thanks to stepped up Chinese purchases

mac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just the most corrupt administration of all time, the most inept.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-prepares-mass-layoffs-losing-002618564.html?soc_src=community&soc_trk=fb&fbclid=IwAR37n8gtW2DWopUW2S81qb4EonMWxzNV9asE_myzFQUWnQFKgskc7r0j7rY

Tired of losing? Vote no on every single Republican.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 14 of 22

Jump to: