myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rant: Dealer markup on windsurf gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpeter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy used when I can. Plenty of wealthy windsurf folks who change gear a lot. Right now my quiver of stuff has the following bought used: 2 boards, 3 sails, 1 mast.

When I buy new, I generally know what I want and give two or more shops a chance at my business. Usually try an order of a few items at a time. Last time it was two sails and a mast. Just explained to each vendor, this is what I want, what is your best price ? I usually save a bit by doing this.

One thing I don't go for is the "we will match any price" policy. Few years back I got three prices for about 1500$ worth of gear. I bought from the low bidder. A week later one guy calls me back and asking if I have purchased the gear yet. I explain that I have and he says he would have matched the price. Not fair in my book.

I have two somewhat local shops that I would support if they carried the brands that I like. They do not so I end up buying small stuff like harness and downhaul lines from them.

JP
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think the windsurf business is such a great cash cow, why don't you start your own?
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am grateful for every windsurf shop that exists. They are part of the nucleus of any windsurfing community. Where I sail the existence of a local shop means lessons are available, equipment rentals are available, a partnership with the local town such that a learning program for kids exists etc.

The cost of equipment today adjusted for inflation, as a number of people have already pointed out, is much lower than it used to be, and the gear is better. And there is more used gear available out there than there are buyers. The cost of fully equipping yourself with used gear is a small fraction of the cost of new gear. If you want to save money, buy used. If you want to save money on new gear, either buy the stuff nobody else wanted...buying end of season or the next year, or break your back online looking at every store in search of saving ten bucks.

The big payoff for people who complain about prices is at swap meets. Great gear, fractionally priced.

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An additional option: buy current gear from sailors who have quit WSing for kiting or foiling. Some of them almost give their WSing gear away.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the point on used gear. I get a new board and a quiver of sails each year.
Its certainly not cost effective but its fun. I sell it all at the end of the season that ends after my Nov. trip to South padre. I keep my gear in very good shape. My big and small sail see very little use. I get 50% of what I paid new.
I take a hit but I keep friends in newer gear and support the brands that i like best....
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 shops in Hood River have sales, 30% plus off.
This should be a indication of mark up.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
fxop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
To the point on used gear. I get a new board and a quiver of sails each year.
Its certainly not cost effective but its fun. I sell it all at the end of the season that ends after my Nov. trip to South padre. I keep my gear in very good shape. My big and small sail see very little use. I get 50% of what I paid new.
I take a hit but I keep friends in newer gear and support the brands that i like best....

Wow. Don't you ever fall in love with a board and regret changing it out?

fxop
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Tabou rocket 115. Best lite wind freeride board I have had so far. So I should state that I sell my lite wind board every year. At my home spot, a 115 and a 6.5 sail is the largest I need to go. Most days a 5.5 and the 115 in the morning and a 5.5 and a 96 Tabou 3S later in the day. The 3s gets used most of the time. Its a 2014 and its so easy and fun to sail I'm going to keep it until it sinks. I did try the short version of that board and found it just wasn't as good as the original. Nothing major just not as easy to have fun on...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 2019 Goya Carrera 116 for my lite wind board. Its a great board. Pretty much as good as the 115 rocket. It might turn better. I think they copied the Rocket. I'll keep that one until the end of April after my month long trip to SPI. Then sell it. Spring and summer at my lake sees little need for that big of a board. By the end of August its time to dig out the big stuff again. By then I'll have a 2020 board...Some old guys have fancy cars or spend a ton of money to play golf at pebble beach. last I check it cost $1500 to stay one night and one round of golf at the resort. $2200 once a year for a new board seems cheap.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly!

The real question is...does that keep the doors open?

-Craig

U2U2U2 wrote:
2 shops in Hood River have sales, 30% plus off.
This should be a indication of mark up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: