myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foil injury
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It IS about ankle injuries, it DOES extrapolate to other injuries, my and countless others' experiences DO relate to every athlete at every level, and U2 DID tell younger sailors not to worry about them. IMO, you're doing a great disservice to gullible readers in telling them to believe otherwise.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Just FYI for older guys trying out foiling.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
isobars wrote:
A whole season is infinitely more valuable to me

I realize this is hard to understand, but this topic isn't about you & U2U2U2's advice about the young wasn't aimed at you so it wasn't irresponsible advice.

Coachg

Thank You Coach.
I asked the OP if the point was about wrong equipment, he replied its FYI for old guys.

My reply for the young to ignore, the old guys statement, was scarastic . Any age can suffer from any injury.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SergioKapul wrote:
As more and more ppl at our local beach getting into foil, I try to give them initial safety foil tips: no foot straps or very loose foot straps, no harness, smaller sail, keep weight on board, etc...

Also, move harness lines forward
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to the OP....a shorter mast isn't really a benefit, IMHO
Taller mast is more forgiving of the hobby-horseing that will come

I think it's ok to start with the shorter, but had to use a 24 yesterday, and found in to be a pita, and no more safe as I was contacting the water more

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with the 24 inch mast and a dedicated foil board and no harness. Shallow water being one reason. Of course its more difficult to control foil outs. But the splash downs never lead to a nose dive and a hard crash. I used the 24 5/6 times and learned how my foil reacts to subtle weight shifts.
One big thing was how to keep the board down in windsurf mode in the big gusts or heading down wind. For me, the time invested was well worth the $60 cost of the mast. Stepping up to the tall mast was really easy. Because of the time spent on the 24 I learned to foil low to the water in the big gusts and fly high in the steady winds. I'm heading to South Padre island for a month. Because of shallow water I'll need to use the 24 Will see how it works. Maybe i can get more aggressive on my turns and apply it when I get home...
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen about 20 windsurfers foil for the first time at ABK camps and demo events. Fortunately, there was no injury, and (almost) everybody got up on the foil. But I also met one windsurfer who had serious knee injury (~8 weeks no sailing) in her first foiling session after a bad crash in the straps.

I much preferred longer boards (Fanatic Gecko, Slingshot Flyer 280) to short, foil-specific boards (Slingshot Wizard) in my early sessions. The touch downs on the Gecko and on the Flyer (with a 24 in mast) were much gentler than some of the nose dives I saw from the Wizard. However, others seemed to like the Wizard just fine. The Flyer does not have straps, and I avoided the straps on the other boards during the first sessions, specifically to eliminate any risk to ankles and knees. That may have slowed down my learning a bit, but I was able to get some longer and controlled flights in the 4th or 5th session. I also started to sail hooked in, which made it a bit easier to maintain a stable height (which may not be true if you don't trust the harness 100% all the time).

The shorter masts were a great thing in Hatteras. Even at the Canadian Hole, only the shorter masts were used during a demo event at the ABK / ECWF demo event last week. In Waves, the 18-24 in masts were great for foiling in NNW-SW days where the water level was a bit higher. They also kept crashes on the less spectacular side. The foils we used were on the slow side, which is definitely a plus for beginners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: