myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Compact/Stubby Wave Boards..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the fin makes huge differences.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these threads about boards and how many fins you need. Are people fussier with a low skill level or a higher one?? I think the ones who aren't so good are the ones that are always running back to swap out the gear to get comfortable????????????? I mean use whatever you want but all this makes me wonder???????
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Are people fussier with a low skill level or a higher one?? I think the ones who aren't so good are the ones that are always running back to swap out the gear to get comfortable????????????? I mean use whatever you want but all this makes me wonder???????

As usual, there are many factors besides skill level that drive dweebing behavior. IMO, the first few rounds of fin selection pay off for anyone. The difference can be quite obvious long before we can plane through a jibe. But once I find a fin that really lights up a board, I tend to leave it on that board ... until, of course, my objectives for a given session change enough to choose a different board or a different fin.

Even us amateurs here could write a short chapter on fin choices. Pros, with money, prizes, reputations, sponsorships, a greater knowledge basis, greater skill, etc. at play, could write and put to use a longer chapter ... and that's just for fins. Some sailors want to maximize "performance", however they define it. Others dweeb to avoid using the whole performance range of a sail or board, subsisting instead on their gear's upper or lower range. Others just enjoy dweebing, to the point of machining a thousandth of an inch off a new fin just for mowing the lawn or changing sails literally ten times while their buds do just fine on one sail.

There's no way I need all my boards and fins, but I enjoy using them and the variety often actually pays off. The first day I had to sit out the strongest wind I had ever seen was the last day I had to do that due to insufficient gear choices. That was in 1982, literally before I even heard of "jibing".
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
kevinkan wrote:
U2U2U2 wrote:
GT

I had the EVO. The Amigu came out in 2004 , really short for its day.

Was a fun board at 80L. THe EVO 74, less said the better.

we had the 2007 Evo ~74 XTV at the Windsport Board Test in San Carlos. It was a board that looked really sweet, and we were all salivating to try it. The thing was the biggest dog ever. The thing just would not plane. We tried everything... moving straps, fins, mast base... still was a dog. The F2 Guerrilla ~74 was the clear superior board in that size. All the other boards in the test were 85l. I was much lighter back then, and rode my JP RRW 69 most of the trip when not testing 85l boards... ah the good ol days.

My EVO 74 was a dog also, until I tried a Starboard Black Box, I looked behind so often I thought a brick was roped to the rear footstrap.

I was going to write it were a pig, but remembered my Flying Pig, a Naish which was years ahead of its time, and way kool. As I recall ya had one .

I had that Flying Pig... awesome board for the time. Would be interesting to ride it again now.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that Ola from Starboard admitted that the original 05 74 litre Evo was probably the best of the line which, as everyone now seems to agree, worked in a limited range of surf conditions. It was never a high wind board in that it was much harder then to control.

The testers all roundly condemned (in coded language, obviously) the later models which Starboard had attempted to make more versatile - like towing a bucket was the most pointed printed statement from a guest tester, and very true!

Starboard seemed to be flinging new shapes out left right and centre in those days, and Boards magazine staff fell foul of them by daring to slate (gently, naturally) one of their less nice offerings which led Starboard to withdraw all their advertising from the magazine.That, along with a kind of longtime staleness which had set in, eventually led to the magazine folding.

I rarely if ever use that Evo any more, and if I do get it back out it's only to remind myself how 'orrible it could sometimes be. As stated, it does at least fill some usefulness in smallish messy rubishy surf conditions, so perhaps when I'm 99 and starting to lose my marbles, I'll give it another whirl or two.

It's a grand life, aint it!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
All these threads about boards and how many fins you need. Are people fussier with a low skill level or a higher one?? I think the ones who aren't so good are the ones that are always running back to swap out the gear to get comfortable????????????? I mean use whatever you want but all this makes me wonder???????

Like autos, more technical giszmos

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
The testers all roundly condemned (in coded language, obviously) ... Boards magazine staff fell foul of them by daring to slate (gently, naturally) one of their less nice offerings which led Starboard to withdraw all their advertising from the magazine. ... eventually led to the magazine folding.

The mag I tested and wrote for pulled far fewer punches, the owner did balk at one comment I wanted to print about one marque's footstraps: "like gym socks nailed to the deck". We busted Bic's slippery decks in print, and they gained much-needed traction the next year.

We outed AHD's thin decks (toes punctured them in front of the front straps), and they pulled their ads after we refused to let them WRITE THEIR OWN REVIEWS to be published ... SERIOUSLY. Gaastra demanded that, too. (In case you didn't know, that's how the vast majority of peer-reviewed published pharmaceutical studies are done, according to the editors of the Lancet and NEJM, among many others. They pay docs and institutions to do the testing, but write their own "reviews"/studies for market consumption.) OTOH, several of my favorite boards bear the AHD logo and a Made in Switzerland comment. They got their act together.

Some, probably most WSing mags, folded with the decline of the sport, not so much quibbles with advertisers. Our mag simply switched to wake boards and kept on truckin'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: