myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foiling thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Grant...mast is triple the area of a normal fin, double a Formula fin, and foil sails are lighter than wave sails.
Foot pressure the front wing.
At 160 lbs., I can waterstart in 8mph breeze with a 5 meter sail using wave gear in surf conditions. That's well below the threshold for foiling.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
coachg wrote:
A couple of things you don't need to foil that you do to windsurf. One is a water start & the other is a harness.

Coachg, Can you explain further? Waterstarting with a small sail in light winds seems like a real problem for someone like me at 205lbs.

MrGybe, I'm talking about normal planing winds, 10-25 mph.

A water start allows you to use smaller boards with bigger sails in higher winds, a harness saves your arms in higher winds. You can windsurf without a water start or harness in higher winds but it will be much, much more difficult. Stronger winds generally mean rougher water & bigger boards become a handful in rougher water as the board becomes too bouncy to control. In foiling the board size is irrelevant because the board rides on the foil above the rough water. In foiling the board is always big enough to easily uphaul on as you don't need to water start and water starting with a foil is risky, especially if you are not wearing a wet-suit.

Use of a harness in foiling is optional & depends on how you want to rig. If you rig big enough to get pulled up onto the foil you will need a harness, but if you rig where you have to pump like a mofo to get going you will not need a harness. I oscillate between the two & can not tell you which is better.

Coachg
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know that uphauling is the routine for a foiling board. That answers the question. Thanks.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this technique for many of my foiling water starts as an alternative to uphauling

http://www.roynbartholdi.com/windsurfing/tutorial/starts/light-wind-water-start

Learned it from Andy Brandt in the 90's. Getting more use now than ever
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too much work to flip a foil board over vs. uphauling not to mention potential rolling tomahawk. Laughing

Coachg
westender

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People don't seem to be into uphauling or pumping? Want a big enough sail to waterstart and not pump to foil. If there's no pull why the harness? Thinking about a Dailer. Might need a bigger vehicle to haul it.
brand_adam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
People don't seem to be into uphauling or pumping? Want a big enough sail to waterstart and not pump to foil. If there's no pull why the harness? Thinking about a Dailer. Might need a bigger vehicle to haul it.

It still gets tiring without a harness when sailing for a long time. I'm always in mine i'm not on the foil or I'm super lit in big chop or swell.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waterstarting long before I don't need to pump.

Also I rarely fly out of the harness since using it greatly smooths pitch changes.
brand_adam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brand_adam wrote:
westender wrote:

It still gets tiring without a harness when sailing for a long time. I'm always in mine except when i'm not on the foil or I'm super lit in big chop or swell.
westender

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy told me if he had a sail he could waterstart he was WAY overpowered on the foil and he is a very efficient Wsurfer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: