myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 244, 245, 246 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B handed over the Naish setup to me, her getting new gear.
But last few 7-14 mph days, I get fully planing as soon as Mike, Ming, or Dom with my Isonic111 and same size sail.
Last day, I was threshhold on 7.4 as SteveS slogged in behind me on 7.0.
Not sold on foil yet.
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
B handed over the Naish setup to me, her getting new gear.
But last few 7-14 mph days, I get fully planing as soon as Mike, Ming, or Dom with my Isonic111 and same size sail.
Last day, I was threshhold on 7.4 as SteveS slogged in behind me on 7.0.
Not sold on foil yet.

My one to one experience is mostly limited to Stick and Coyote.

At Stick comparing my Is-111/7.3 with Robert's JP-130-slalom/NP-flight the Isonic is always planing when the JP is, and when either is not it would seem that it depends on getting a random puff of wind. However Robert with the new JP 135 foil specific has visibly increased his low end.

Now that is by itself remarkable. Robert is close to 200 pounds and in past seasons there was no way he was keeping up with me using a 7.8 Switchblade. Now he is on a 6.8 switchblade or 6.0 Pure Lip!!!

At Coyote my Isonic got left in the dust a few times. Not mentioning Chris, F4, who is in a different planet, in a couple of occasions against a JP 135/F4/7.0 and 75 Kg pilot (I am 71 Kg) I was slogging hopelessly while he was happily taking off.

We'll see, but I suspect that my light air performance should increase quite dramatically. At a minimum allowing nicely smaller sail. A lot depends on the foil and I am getting what is considered a light air champion (Taaroa Noe). NP flight, and F4, are both considered to be at the opposite side of the spectrum requiring speed to take off. From what I read Naish or slingshot require less speed but have more drag and so still take some wind to take off.

Anyway, my only concern about foiling in the Bay Area is that we do not have light air around!!!!!! (And the horrible chop. and the varying conditions ... I do not want to get caught in 25 knots winds with a foil!). Otherwise I would have gone foil two years ago!
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also,we both windsurf with a 69 wide, 111 Isonic.
The foilers are using wider and bigger boards with triple the side resistance.
Chris is a great foiler on Starboard/Np.
But 120 days a year, I'm rigging next to Berkeley's Cal Cup crew and 300' from CSC' 9 foiler's.
But sub 17 mph days are very limited even at Berkeley, certainly fewer than 30 per year, and a 6 minute drive has us rigging in 20+ for half those.
I might be sold if I see Graham really carving and moving at decent speeds. Front and backs are nothing, as Wyatt was doing them after a month of foiling.
windsurferd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Coyote Point! Reply with quote

My 8th day of foiling this year! Naish Hover 142 and Ezzy 4.0 Hydra

Good winds for me at 11:00!

3 other foilers showed up around 12:30
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Also,we both windsurf with a 69 wide, 111 Isonic.
The foilers are using wider and bigger boards with triple the side resistance.
Chris is a great foiler on Starboard/Np.
But 120 days a year, I'm rigging next to Berkeley's Cal Cup crew and 300' from CSC' 9 foiler's.
But sub 17 mph days are very limited even at Berkeley, certainly fewer than 30 per year, and a 6 minute drive has us rigging in 20+ for half those.
I might be sold if I see Graham really carving and moving at decent speeds. Front and backs are nothing, as Wyatt was doing them after a month of foiling.

Indeed the wider the board the draggier it is and the bigger the sail size you need to take off ... first generation in the Bay Area were on formula boards and low end was not really their forte. Chris tests/develops for racers and is out with F4 foil plus Starboard 177 plus big cambered sails. The whole thing looks humongous! Until he gracefully disappears at the horizon at absurd upwind ungles.

New generation Starboard 122, JP 120, to name a few, are a different story. North Pacific Custom are all below 75 wide. My custom is 77 wide with 207 length, just slightly bigger than my Is-111.

Things are evolving ... but yes the Bay area winds are not (yet): last year I sailed every single day on 95L/6.5 or below with just a handful, maybe 6-8 days, on Isonic Shocked I do have the doubt that I am spending $3500 for something I will just use a few times Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by dvCali on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my observation, Steve and A are the earliest foilers, on Tillo 90 cm foilboards using the smallest sails. Chris isn't close. Those guys often use 5 meter sails..when Ti is gusting to 26, but the launch at Berkeley 7-15 only. But they do time their launch perfectly.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
...e. Those guys often use 5 meter sails..when Ti is gusting to 26, but the launch at Berkeley 7-15 only. But they do time their launch perfectly.

how much I miss TI!!!!!!!!!!
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takes formula to get up there ..in 2003..20 minutes from the east dock in Berkeley.
Foil downed it to around 17 minutes.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Takes formula to get up there ..in 2003..20 minutes from the east dock in Berkeley.
Foil downed it to around 17 minutes.

45' to 50' on the bridge from San Francisco ... Shocked
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep getting to TI from SF is a PITA these days, even at seemingly "off" hours. One day this year at 1pm, it took me over 45 minutes to go from Costco to TI (i'm guessing about 3 miles).

Foiled Crissy today on Slingshot Wizard 125 with the Infinity 76 wing and 4.8 S2Maui Jester. Two other windfoilers out on 7.0+ sails and a couple kite foilers. Wind was very east, so almost a 180 from the normal direction. Air was a bit cold but not terrible. Water temp is still fine. Good conditions! Also foiled Crissy on Saturday on the same gear, but it was a little windier, which was just about perfect conditions for my setup.

Some ferry and tanker wake rides today. Angles were really lined up well. These light N and NE winds that we get in the winter were previously unassailable unless you had formula gear. now i'm getting in lots of days even on 4.8! Pretty cool!

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 244, 245, 246 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 245 of 329

Jump to: