myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tendon or mechanical for foiling?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
I have less faith in the speeds of foils.
Had some Cal Cup winners try to sail with me on their smaller foils, not their Course foils, and while speeds were almost close...they dropped in from above and in front, me on freeride board and sail, they'd crash or drop 20 yards back by 1/2 mile of reaching. Might be 1.5 mph diff, and that's advanced foilers against me, a 69 year old freerider.
But I am giving the Naish setup a try, knowing the top end limit is around 21 mph.

Sailing the usual windsurfing angles on a foil is by far harder than higher formula-type angles. So direct speed comparison rather than windward/leeward VMG is a challenge.

Also if you ignore speed the foil is much more playful on flat water compared to most light wind gear, even slow foils can reach good angles when underpowered vs just barely planing off the wind. This depends on the foil of course.
I think if you regularly have 15kts and enjoy straight lines a foil has little appeal.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride a 110 Skate Freestyle sometimes, with a 7 meter sail planes right up in gusts of 15mph, so 10-17 is just fine.
Haven't got stuck downwind since the early '80's, so see no need to head upwind.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
dllee wrote:
I have less faith in the speeds of foils.
Had some Cal Cup winners try to sail with me on their smaller foils, not their Course foils, and while speeds were almost close...they dropped in from above and in front, me on freeride board and sail, they'd crash or drop 20 yards back by 1/2 mile of reaching. Might be 1.5 mph diff, and that's advanced foilers against me, a 69 year old freerider.
But I am giving the Naish setup a try, knowing the top end limit is around 21 mph.

Sailing the usual windsurfing angles on a foil is by far harder than higher formula-type angles. So direct speed comparison rather than windward/leeward VMG is a challenge.

Also if you ignore speed the foil is much more playful on flat water compared to most light wind gear, even slow foils can reach good angles when underpowered vs just barely planing off the wind. This depends on the foil of course.
I think if you regularly have 15kts and enjoy straight lines a foil has little appeal.

I think that talking about speed is a bit missing the point. First of all it depends on equipment: some foils will not go faster than 20 knots, on others some elite windfoil sailors are well above 30 knots. But if you like speed a slalom board seems 4-6 knots faster, and it actually has little upper limit, and it is much safer, if you find flat water ... So ... you do not pick up foiling for speed. It is for the new experience. I went foiling three times and it was a bit scary on the patched up equipment I was using but a completely different world.
rtz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started off using a tendon type joint. My big board is unwieldy so I hook up the rig to the board in the water.

Got a mechanical type joint after my sails started getting bigger. Makes attachment and removal infinitely easier.

Have noticed zero difference in feel as far as the mechanical being more "harsh" and it seems to be holding up fine wear wise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: