myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wetsuit Temp Chart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Wetsuit Temp Chart Reply with quote

From your experience; how accurate do you feel this chart to be for windsurfing?

https://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/blog/select-right-wetsuit-thickness/

How cold of water do you wear a 5/4 down to? I don't yet have a 6/5.
ss59

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wetsuit Temp Chart Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
How cold of water do you wear a 5/4 down to?

Until I'm cold
rswabsin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the chart is fairly accurate if not a little on the conservative side - other wetsuit companies I use have a similar chart. I windsurf and surf on the east coast through the winter and have been using a 5/4 hooded wetsuit for >25 years in water temps down to low 40's. Occasionally it gets as low as 38 degrees but that's for only a month. The key with the wetsuit is to get one with fully taped and glued seams which essentially makes them a semi-dry suit with very little water seeping in. I can last up to 2 hrs surfing with this suit in air temps in the mid 30's and I'm very comfortable as long as I'm actively sailing or paddeling. I sometimes wear a short sleeve rash guard underneath for additional warmth if air temps are in the low 30's. I wear the 5/4 from mid December through March when the water temps start getting back up into the 50's then switch to a 4/3.

Rob
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy a suit by a chart any more than I'd buy a board by a manufacturer's PR paragraph or a sail by a size chart. I've seen 5mm dry suits with neoprene booties and hoods worn in the Gorge and Maui in midsummer at 85 (Maui) to >95 degrees (Hood River) when almost no one else is wearing any neoprene, guys of the same size and on similar boards lovin' a 4.2 and a 6.2 side by side, and guys of the same weight lovin' boards of 65 and 95 liters side by side.

There's WAY too much personal taste involved to spend real money on this stuff without personal experimentation, whatever it takes ... borrowing one, dealers who will let you exchange stuff if you don't like it, trying suits on first at least for fit, a trip to some Hood River swap meets (they may pay for themselves from far away if you're lucky and do some research first), etc.

A simple and very effective approach was suggested by rswabsin: buy an assortment of pieces and layer. Of course, that requires some careful planning when selecting the pieces' sizes. A simple 1mm neoprene "T-shirt" adds a LOT of warmth to any suit, and, again, a neck gaiter makes a big difference with any suit, including a dry suit because it keeps your neck warm.
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age - Water Temperature / Percentage Sunshine x wave Height + (time of day/ number of household chores) + Number of Buddies x After session beer plan - 100x Involvement of your local team in a playoff game! = wetsuit thickness

The chart is about right
Age (or wisdom) is a factor
Young dudes around here be charging in the 15-20 degree air temp zone Water doesn't seem to get much below about 38

The 5/4 goes on in November
Never tried a 6...do have 7mm boots
Hear good things about the Patagonia 6, but at that point I got other plans

westender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People ask if the water's cold? You say sure but I'm sailing not swimming. If you're swimming get the warmest gear.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz: Everyone is different. Take that chart as a decent place to start, but your needs might vary wildly from what is listed. Err on the side of caution and ease into colder temperatures slowly and methodically. Take notes as you go so that you remember what worked when, including air and water temps and what layers you wear. Don't just go out on a 35F degree day in a 5/3 because "Adam" says that he can- first, try your 5/3 on a 50 degree sunny day, then a 46 degree day, then a 44 degree day, etc etc...

Sailing in cold temps is potentially very dangerous and should be regarded as such. It can also be amazing and totally safe if you're well prepared and smart about it.

http://wind-nc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: