myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Longboard question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
this might also be the mega cat?

35 lbs?

race boards originally were designed to plane. depends on which sail you may be trying to use in these various wind conditions. i have used boards similar to this with 9 meter sails in the late 80's. the sails had virtually no twist, and were super powerful. despite long boards extending the upward wind ranges of larger sails back then, we were ever ready to rig smaller all too soon.

never used much more than 40 cm fins back then.

it's actually 16 lbs, my mistake. It glides very well in sub planing conditions. Is it realistic to expect to plane like a super light wind board with a light weight 10.0 sail and a 50cm or so fin?

It's this guy right here. I've cleaned it up since I'd taken the photo.

Screenshot 2019-01-12 at 10.00.39 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.31 KB
 Viewed:  8998 Time(s)

Screenshot 2019-01-12 at 10.00.39 AM.png

fanatic x class 250L.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  159.11 KB
 Viewed:  8998 Time(s)

fanatic x class 250L.jpg

grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably is around 35lbs with straps and centerboard. I believe this is the heavier/more durable construction of the Megacat.

All raceboards with the exception of Div2 will plane. My 91 Lightning WC would mostly plane downwind due to the narrow tail and hence smaller fin (much narrower than your board).
Greg putting the hammer down on his later/wider Lightning:
https://youtu.be/nExSHR9H0Ik
This board is very similar in tail width to what you've got.

My 94 Mistral Equipe2 has a wider tail like your Fanatic and will beam reach in the straps no problem. I use 42-50cm fins.

-Grant
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nodak -
Haha, that board is NOT 16 lbs!
I bet you meant 16 Kg Smile

And like John said, it's the last edition of the Fanatic MegaCat, it's from the late 90's. And it's worth a lot in some places!

Yes, with straps and centerboard, 35 lbs would be about right. And yes, that is as light (weighed side by side on the same scale) as any other top-of-the-line raceboard - Equipe - Lightning - Bamba - MegaCat - and new $3000 Starboards and Exocet and carbon Kona's.
And those original footstraps look fine. Yes, the whole kit is very dirty but will probably wash up fine.

Footstrap use not easy??
It's not supposed to be easy... they're for experts sailing in high wind!!

Hi-end raceboards work well in wind from 1 to 30 mph. Most of my longboard racing is in 1 to 10 mph wind and no one (not even the lightest sailor) uses the straps. However in wind above 10 mph, good sailors will use the front beating strap, for railing the board and beating upwind. The back straps won't be used till you're beam or broad reaching in wind over 15-20 mph (depending on sailor weight and experience).

That is a VERY COOL board... super versatile and fast and efficient and has the widest usable wind range of any windsurf board design. Take good care of it, they're fragile. But with patience you can learn to tune it and have fun doing all kinds of things.

Oh yeah, your "rule of thumb" about fin size is correct. Raceboards of this generation have no need for monster fins. The stock Trim-box fin in your pic is all you need.
You WILL (should) use the centerboard for all sailing until you're going so fast the board wants to rail over on you. With experience you'll learn when to start retracting the CB. Anyway, the fin is just for directional control, not for lift. The CB and the hull shape, give you all you need for every point of sail. But when you're skipping across the water, doing over 20 mph board speed... you'll have the CB retracted... and that fin will give you the control you need (along with the hard rails of the hull shape).

Have fun Smile

wmike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The table is all in metric. So 16kg is 35.2lbs. Notice the length is 3800mm which is 12.5 feet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: