myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing in Turks and Caicos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing in Turks and Caicos Reply with quote

We are looking for a good windsurfing place during March (in the Caribbean). Has anyone visited Provo in the Turks and Caicos? Supposedly, there is a windsurfing place on Grace Bay, in front of Ocean Club resort. Any information would be appreciated!!
ramoils

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing in Turks and Caicos Reply with quote

Hi Dirt (?)
I was in Provo in June & its a bust. The wind comes across the island & is essentially offshore. So unless its howling there is a large shadow along Grace Bay. If you could get outside reef at Grace, it would be great but how is a question. BUT, while diving off the very north tip of the island, I was frustrated to find the wind in 20 - 25 mph range every day. Good waves too but water maybe too shallow. Getting to the tip & renting equip is an unknown. There is a guy in Grace Bay who has a rental op. I found it on Web but cant remember where.
lasbrisas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing in Turks and Caicos Reply with quote

Turks and Caicos is awesome for diving, but if you want to go windsurfing in the Caribbean go to one of the windsurfing destinations. Im definitely biased on which one, but let me say this. Seven months on Margarita last winter, and I can count on my fingers the number of days that I did not sail. Plus, it is very inexpensive. If you are looking to sail, this is definitely the island to go to. See you there!?
Ethanel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lasbrisas,
Thanks for directing Margarita island. I will keep in mind next time I will go for windsurfing.
As you said it is inexpensive, how much it will cost if 5 people will stay for 2 weeks.

Last edited by Ethanel on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no gear rental on Grand Turk Island, but you can take gear and launch into great sideshore winds right off the town beach.

Not sure about sailing in June, but January to April are solid 20-25 knots, big jumping and decent waves. The North end of the island has better waves on the west shore, but its remote and tough to get to.

The diving in Grand Turk is unreal. Go see Mitch Rolling at Blue Water Diving! Spearfishing, lobsters, or just trolling the reef with a cooler full of El Presidente'. Good Times!!!
PeterSS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turks is good in that its a direct flight, but its not great for windsurfing. On Grace Bay it is indeed mostly offshore. Ocean club has a few crappy olde boards and sails. My Wife and I messed around on them for an afternoon. That said, if you also Kite, you can cab, or Bike to other side of the island, I think its called Long Bay and its is excellent for Kiting. I brought my own, (one couple((instructors)) give lessons) but no rentals..On that side it is Side on 15-20, and the bay is about 1-2ft deep, so great for kiting, and would be good for windsurfing with a short fin, but alas, no rentals. I'd look to other Islands for just windsurfing. Aruba, ok - its far and offshore...I want to try St. Lucia next...
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://sites.google.com/site/learnersguidetowindsurfing/caribbean-northern-islands
98774jackson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cagjr21150 wrote:
https://sites.google.com/site/learnersguidetowindsurfing/caribbean-northern-islands

Nice lot of details here, I will bookmark it and save it for later use. thx anyway
sbgalaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Turks Reply with quote

I came to the Turks with my family... didn't expect to find much windsurfing based on the reports. We stayed at The Sands on Grace Bay and it's definitely windy. It's Dec. 10-17 and every day has been blowing 15-20 except today it's probably 30+ and all sailboats are beached.

The Beaches resort had about 10 boards and a variety of sails but only allows guests the use of the equipment. Same with Club Med but I they had a bigger variety and it looked like it was in better shape. They had harnesses and life jackets too. Not sure Beaches had harnesses.

Then I found out about a guy named Mike Rosati at the Ocean Club East. Here's his website: http://www.windsurfingprovo.tc/windsurfing.htm
I'm going to try to hook up with him tomorrow if the wind is back to the steady 15-20. I can't handle 30+.

This is a beautiful island. I saw some very cool "glow worms" last night. I hope to come back here again sometime and when I do I'll probably stay at Club Med so I can windsurf every day!
bowen1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update Jan/feb 2019. You can windsurf with the kiters in Long bay. Waterplay TCI has windsurf gear for rent. They have a big white container on the beach and they will text you the google earth coordinates, inside the container you will find an assortment of stuff in varying states of use/repair. Two of us one day last week got set up. I used a very sercicable 6.5 on an equally serivicable 110L Hifly freeride. Powered up and planing for 2 hours, wind averaging 19 gusting to 24. Fun, side onshore wind and chest deep water for miles.

We're here for 10 days and it's not quite windy enough to get all revved up about windsurfing every day. But great for a couple of sessions mixed in with other stuff. Or perfect for learning to kite or improve windsurfing skills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: