myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SB iWindSup 2019

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: SB iWindSup 2019 Reply with quote

For anyone interested I purchased a 2019 SB inflatable windsup 12'6"x30 and travelled with it last week. Very well made, relatively easy to inflate to 18psi, attach fins, etc.. The board glides great, goes upwind better than expected, and does plane. All-in-all very pleased with the board, will mean I can windsurf on family vacations (after years of frustrations with vanishing rental opportunities).

I also purchased the prior version of the compact rig and 6.5m sail. The rig is fine I guess (though I wish for a more finished and robust mast, and a lighter extension), but the sail is not versatile. It works well sub-planing, but develops a hideous and disastrous crease under any higher wind pressure - it puts on the brakes. I believe the sail is the Ezzy Super sail from some years back, which had the same fatal flaw. Note, the new version of the sail has 2 battens, so will have a greatly reduced tendency for this problem, may have to upgrade.

I do wish that the SB Airplane 12'6"x27" was available with the full edge tech, center fin, and mast plug of the board I've got. I think 30" is too wide for best glide.
AG80

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your purchase.
I just want to comment on my experience with the 2017 Starboard Blend inflatable windsup for those who are considering purchasing an inflatable.
I purchased the inflatable primarily to travel to my in-laws who live on Anna Maria island off the Florida gulf coast. It is 11'2" long by 32" wide and has a mushroom insert mast track held in place by the inflation pressure. Impressed with the mast track design. I have paddled and sailed it with a 6.5 m Ezzy Cheetah in both flat water and waves. It performs much better than I expected. Feels firm under foot. There is just a little flex felt when going over chop or waves. The board tracks well upwind even without using the included center fin. It will plane in winds >15 mph with the 6.5 sail. At home, I primarily use the board as a second board for friends and family and don't worry about damage. I will also use it as a SUP in rocky areas with a flexible fin. The board feels well built and durable. The only damage I have seen is with a small edge of the deckpad coming detached. Easy to glue back down with rubber cement. I am happy with the purchase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: