myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Flikka Foil 117

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Flikka Foil 117 Reply with quote

Too windy to try yesterday but today might be the day. 117 liters, 209 x 77 with a huge tail 72 one foot off. Very very very light Very Happy

IMG_1162.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.38 KB
 Viewed:  13993 Time(s)

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.17 KB

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.29 KB

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.7 KB

IMG_1154.jpg

Last edited by dvCali on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
brand_adam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great looking shape. Let us know how it goes.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting to see lower volume and narrower foil boards. Local knowledge has higher volume and more width (especially in the tail) offering better light wind performance.
Then again every gram you leave behind is surely noticed once you are flying.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you bring my barn door back now

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brand_adam wrote:
What a great looking shape. Let us know how it goes.

The first real day out with the Flikka. The weather has been horrible with so much rain!

It feels small. The length, 209 cm, really makes a difference. The volume, 117L, seems just about perfect. I am 158 pounds, and the board is out of the water when standing still. The board is very square shaped, 77 wide with a 73 back, and the tack is easy: the very wide front rescues all possible kind of mistakes. And I do plenty, I am horrible at tacks, but you can pretty much stand in front of the mast!

In navigation it accellerates briskly, I am surprised by the lack of drag. I am out with a brand new Point-7 ACX 5.4, the wind is extremely weak (the sensor said 5 knots for the afternoon) and I am expecting to just slog around but ... here it is, a little gust and I am up. I don't even feel the transition. I am still too forward and it does not last long, but soon I am flying again ... so easy. Will see about that ... but compared to the JP slalom monster + Neil Pryde Alu is day and night.

The wind goes back to its 5-6 knots and I should be on the ACX 6.5, but it is enough for now. I'll post again when the wind really comes in Thursday/Friday/Saturday should be good.

It looks a bit silly but I love the combination of the Surfbent mast deviator (https://surfbent.de/home.html it is the orange .. dog bowl) and the rigid Chinook mast base. I had to walk back to the lounching spot when the wind completely died and I just flipped the board upside down in the water: zero damage. And no drag that made the walk of shame so easy!

IMG_1200.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  397.32 KB
 Viewed:  13279 Time(s)

IMG_1200.jpg

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking board. Keep the updates coming. Its fun being on the cutting edge of a new sport. Could I the cost of the board. I will be looking next year after I get better on the one I have...
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Great looking board. Keep the updates coming. Its fun being on the cutting edge of a new sport. Could I the cost of the board. I will be looking next year after I get better on the one I have...

The board was $2150 including shipment from Slovenia in full carbon construction. It is very light at 7.15 but supposedly stronger than Cobra. Lower end construction I think is $400 less. Wait until the Euro is low!

Updates: right now I am having some growing pains. After a couple of times with very little wind but some decent runs, the last two times I struggled a lot in "stronger" winds. Either barely flying or flying out of control. It is harder than I thought. Shocked
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try sliding the mast base forward an inch as the wind gets up. Especially if you're rigging smaller.
Conversely if you have an adjustable rear wing on the foil you can take some up trim out but that can be a little less stable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: