myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Blog: Today's Baja winds foretell our spring NW winds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Blog: Today's Baja winds foretell our spring NW winds. Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

It was a weird wind season of Baja's East Cape as a weak El Nino pattern meant fewer strong wind days, smaller swell, up and down wind and frequent clouds.

This week the weirdness continues as the normal Baja wind machine... high pressure in the Great Basin remains absent.

But a huge spring type North Pacific High is driving powerful NW winds past the San Francisco ocean buoys and down the coast to past Cabo Wabo. And some of that wind is filtering across the mountain backbone of Baja to La Ventana and Los Barriles.

And that event suggests that strong more frequent NW winds for California are not to far in the future.

Check it out: http://blog.weatherflow.com/west-coast-wind-blog-nw-wind-from-the-city-to-la-ventana-los-barriles/

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

BajaWCWB GeneralsbackLoop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.42 KB
 Viewed:  13126 Time(s)

BajaWCWB  GeneralsbackLoop.jpg

windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...I guess I’d be smart to take my gear along on our trips to humboldt to see the grandkids. Right? Also, any insight for predicting conditions up there (Big Lagoon in particular) would be most helpful.
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Windoggie,

Big Lagoon! Wow, I sailed there once many years ago. Beautiful area!

Friday that area sees mild but useful winds from the Lost Coast to about Pt. Arena as a tiny North Pacific High is crushed between 2 storm systems.

Saturday 23 through March 1 the NPH is distorted and pushed southward by big storm about 1100 miles to our WNW. Just mild southerly winds.

Have fun,

Mike
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com
sailtildark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught it once too, about ten years ago! It was so awesome! I would love to sail there again. Not sure how it is now but I was lucky to be in my 4WD work truck to get to the windsurf launch on the east side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: