myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 246, 247, 248 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Coyote Feb 18 Reply with quote

Season started with good wind. Today at Coyote, cold, but not too much, and 6.5/4.3. The first sail was slalom, the second foil Shocked
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Stick Feb 19 Reply with quote

More foil in very weak wind that is perfect to learn how to. Little nightmare when I came back. One of the tuttle box bolts stripped and I had to drill through the barrel nut to get it out!!!!!!!!! Shocked Bit nerve wracking!

IMG_1168.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.12 KB
 Viewed:  8932 Time(s)

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.99 KB

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.9 KB

IMG_1166.jpg

TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Coyote Feb 18 Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
Season started with good wind. Today at Coyote, cold, but not too much, and 6.5/4.3. The first sail was slalom, the second foil Shocked

Mine started there too, but Saturday 16.
OP on a 5.2 and 90L., very muddy low tide.
And chilly...

What does it take to have the rangers open the little changing shack?
That would help!
Rolling Eyes
bert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Coyote on Sunday 3/3 Reply with quote

4 of us foiling at Coyote this Sunday. Wind was 10 on the inside and about 15-17 mph on the outside between 1-3 pm. Sails ranged from 4.0 (Dimitry) to 7.8 (Chris R.) with Dan on a 7.0. I went with my 5.9 Volt.
Sure would be nice if Dimitry (140 lbs?) would gain about 40 pounds to even out the playing field Very Happy
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Stick 3/4 Reply with quote

bert wrote:
4 of us foiling at Coyote this Sunday. Wind was 10 on the inside and about 15-17 mph on the outside between 1-3 pm. Sails ranged from 4.0 (Dimitry) to 7.8 (Chris R.) with Dan on a 7.0. I went with my 5.9 Volt.
Sure would be nice if Dimitry (140 lbs?) would gain about 40 pounds to even out the playing field Very Happy

Dimitry is incredible, I saw him going happily with a 3.0 while other foilers, not mention a slalom guy, were struggling with 2 to 5 more square meters! He is on a modified Mike's Lab Kitefoil board (!) but I think he is at least 150. I am kind of in as a similar ball park at 158 ... we'll see how small I can go.

Today I tried to see what the lower limit is ... but 5.0 + my Flikka does not go in 3-5 knots of wind. The accelleration was brisk but no flying need to rig a 6.5 and try again. It was still fun and aerobically stimulating! Very Happy

Starting Wed we get finally some wind!
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Stick 3/7 Foil Reply with quote

Time to go foiling!

Contrary to the advise you can find around on the net I am under rigged with a 5.0. The wind is very light, I would need a 8.5 minimum to be planing on a slalom board today, and I should be using a 5.8-6.5 sail. But I do not mind the slogging because it gives plenty time to get familiar with the foil, learning how to carry the board to the water (not too hard actually), go straight when pumping (bit tricky), positioning on the board, tacking,

But the wind does "come up" and soon enough here I am flying over the water. Relatively short runs, I am just at the threshold power wise, but nonetheless: foiling! Very Happy

In this conditions the combo Flikka + Taaroa seems very stable and predictable, no drama at all, a huge improvement with respect to the JP-slalom + Neal Pryde aluminum. Today more wind in the forecast, we'll see what happens.
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Stick 3/8 Cooooold Reply with quote

Windy but cold enough to be unpleasant. Kind of at the limit of comfort for my 4/3 + thermal + short boots. I should wear the long boots at least but they are such a hassle to put on.

I should try to get out with the foil but it is white capping, it is cold (did I mentioned it?), and I am all alone at the beach. Should I have gone to Crissy for some company. So I take the Exocet slalom + 5.8 for a very short spin. The wind is up (ah the exocet is fast!) and down and it goes from powered to zero-ish in a blink. Too cold, and also it is cold, did I mention it is cold? so I call it off. Shocked

Now the sad part: looks like no wind for a week ... Sad Sad Sad
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was also a little cold at Crissy today but not terrible. foiled 4.4 and the Slingshot 125/76. Could have been on 4.0. Jean and Andre went way outside the Gate. I was not comfortable going that far out so just putted around in the main sailing area. Good day! some windsurfers tried to sail, but the wind dropped right after I got there, so the guys on sinkers and 4.7s slogged in. Naked man was wearing a wetsuit and riding bigger gear and was fine outside the gate.

possible S wind at OB tomorrow. sailed there (Lincoln) 4.4/85 STB on Wednesday and it was exhilarating. If it's windy tomorrow I'm going to launch from in front of the house.... i like having more downwind leeway.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
it was also a little cold at Crissy today but not terrible. foiled 4.4 and the Slingshot 125/76. Could have been on 4.0. Jean and Andre went way outside the Gate. I was not comfortable going that far out so just putted around in the main sailing area. Good day! some windsurfers tried to sail, but the wind dropped right after I got there, so the guys on sinkers and 4.7s slogged in. Naked man was wearing a wetsuit and riding bigger gear and was fine outside the gate.

possible S wind at OB tomorrow. sailed there (Lincoln) 4.4/85 STB on Wednesday and it was exhilarating. If it's windy tomorrow I'm going to launch from in front of the house.... i like having more downwind leeway.

Problem at the Stick was the overcast: there was no Sun and the temperature dropped. Crissy sounds pretty good, but my foil skills are still less than non-existent and I am not too eager to try when a regular 4.7 is enough! I'll gain confidence soon (hopefully) ... I still have my wife's veto for OB Shocked
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: Stick March 11 Reply with quote

I get to the beach round 2:30, chat a bit with Nino that stopps by (to pee), and the wind finally turns west after lingering from the north at around 3:30. Little white caps in the distance and I rig ... 4.3. I am such a wimp (read: very scared by the foil).

The result is a sizable amount of slogging with the Flikka Shocked but eventually the winds comes up a bit more and ... up I go. Oh my! this is more serious foiling. I manage to be relatively steady, little yo-yo, no falls. I am really having fun.

Unfortunately I have a meeting to go to and I needs to stop. I get to beach, get out (elegantly, read carrying both sail and board), drop the board, turn, and ... the wind ... there is really no wind. If I were with my Isonic I would have been on the 7.3 ... I am on 4.3 and feeling powered ... this thing is too efficient!!!!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 246, 247, 248 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 247 of 329

Jump to: