myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What board to get?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diego4234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: What board to get? Reply with quote

I know Ive already had some discussions on here of what board to get...but Ive gotten so many varying answers and Im trying to sort through them....here are some of the boards I have narrowed it down to. I want to know what you guys think of these boards and maybe add some suggestions of your own.
->Bic Techno 293
->Bic Techno 283
->F2 Xantos 290
->Mistral Vision 150
->Mistral Malibu ?

If you havent read already. I am a beginner/intermediate sailor who has not gotten into the straps or harness yet, but I am confident in cruising. I weight 140lbs and will be sailing in relatively light winds ~10-12kts. I hope to be a pretty competent sailor (waterstarts, straps, and harness) w/in a year or two. Im also on a limited budget since Im a student...so I have to keep that in mind when getting equipment.
Thanks for the help
Dennis
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: RE: What board to get? Reply with quote

if you are talking new boards, consider the techno 283 (from your list). and instead of the vision 150, consider the Naish Titan 268 or 273, i believe these boards are better shapes and are priced at $999 new!

since you are 140lbs and sailing some, i would get something that is 130 ltrs and up. this will float you good enough for uphauling, and will let you learn tacks fairly easily. dont go too big, since it will be a log.

you are planning to learn all the normal steps, and you need a board that will be fun and responsive, yet forgiving. your wind conditions seem light, so most likely you will eventually be sailing a 6.5 and up sail.

you should probably dump the idea of a centerboard at this point if you are serious about going all the way. but theres nothing wrong with simple recreational sailing, and if that is what you want, then get the larger board with the centerboard (such as the malibu).
jvigeant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: RE: What board to get? Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

Ive had a board from Bic, F2 and Mistral over the years and the quality of the BIC Board and components was far inferior to the F2 and Mistral.

Ive sailed the Xantos 290 in Aruba and liked it a lot. Id say you cant really go wrong with the Xantos or the Vision.

The Malibu seems a little old school in my opinion and you will quickly outgrow it.

Its always a tough call to get a new board, but there are very few really bad boards out there anymore. Ive also heard that BIC has improved their stuff in the last few years too.

But my choice in the boards listed is the xantos.

JQs
mastfoot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:04 am    Post subject: RE: What board to get? Reply with quote

please contact me asap mastfoot@yahoo.com for free advice (Ido not work for any manufacturer but have a wonderful job of trying every thing for a consumer reporting co
gemoore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:21 pm    Post subject: RE: What board to get? Reply with quote

On this list, I vote Techno 283 for you. But I have never sailed a Xantos. I doubt either one would disappoint. I love the Naish boards, but they are a bit fragile given your level. This contributes mightily to their performance, and that would actually help you a lot, but unless youre a whiz with small repairs of mast dings I wouldnt go that route. If you are a glass whiz and dont mind a patched up board (think of it as an investment in progress), seriously consider the Naish boards.

GEM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: