myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Authoritarianism is making a comeback in the world
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900, if the article was short in length, I would have copied and pasted it up here to give everyone the opportunity to share in a very well written piece.

I guess to summarize your outlook on things, if a tree fell in the forrest and no one was there to witness it, the event never made a sound.

Yet, to give you another chance to hear the tree fall, here is it is from the Ukraine's global voice, Kyiv Post.

www.kyivpost.com/article/opinion/op-ed/robert-kagan-the-strongmen-strike-back.html
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
mat-ty wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
mac wrote:
Brd clearly did not read the article.

No , nor did he read today's news about the Marxist move to force GM to keep Lordstown open...

Is that the same GM that stiffed the US taxpayer for billions?????

They paid back every cent plus a pile of interest. So, no the answer is no. And it seems like you approve of Venezuela style economics , let me ask , are in favor of seizing property too?

Really?
https://www.taxpayer.com/media/CTF-AutoBailoutReport-2015.pdf

mac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps not the most reliable source. Certainly not balanced.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/canadian-taxpayer-federation-opinion-lamont-1.3802441

from that source:

Quote:
While the CTF's mandate is to hold elected officials to account, who holds the CTF's five members to account? Each other. Who decides who else can become a member? They do. It should be no surprise that the CTF has, as a result, faced accusations of being an Astroturf organization — a fake grassroots organization.

A more complete analysis, and a more reliable source:

https://www.factcheck.org/2010/05/general-motors-debt/

From that article:

Quote:
Yes, it’s true that GM paid back its loan from the Treasury Department, in full, ahead of schedule.
But the debt was only part of the automaker bailout package. Through the Troubled Asset Relief Program, the Treasury gave GM $49.5 billion, most of which was converted into an ownership stake in the form of stock. Through this equity stake, the government still owns 61 percent of GM.

I think a complete analysis would consider the current value of that 61%, and the costs avoided by not throwing workers out of work and onto unemployment. Full bankruptcy and parting out GM would have also meant losses in the economic sectors that depended on those jobs. Not clear what the net, but perhaps the government lost less than they have on many of Trump's fiascos.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBC, the great Canadian tax burden, writing an opinion piece on a government spending critic.....that's funny.

Since you quoted them. Here you go --
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/loans-canada-account-finance-auto-sector-bailout-2009-gm-chrysler-1.4722529

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/jan/22/barack-obama/obama-says-automakers-have-paid-back-all-loans-it-/

But to say they've paid back "every dime and more," requires considerable cherry-picking. Obama doesn’t count any outstanding loans made by the Bush administration, which seem to have been made with Obama's quiet support and which were restructured (resulting in some losses) under the bankruptcy Obama's Treasury helped manage. And to get into the black, he counts money the automakers paid back for Bush administration loans. --

boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGB-NP wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
mat-ty wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
mac wrote:
Brd clearly did not read the article.

No , nor did he read today's news about the Marxist move to force GM to keep Lordstown open...

Is that the same GM that stiffed the US taxpayer for billions?????

They paid back every cent plus a pile of interest. So, no the answer is no. And it seems like you approve of Venezuela style economics , let me ask , are in favor of seizing property too?

Really?
https://www.taxpayer.com/media/CTF-AutoBailoutReport-2015.pdf

Its possible I didn't include the initial loans in 2007...
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler said:
Quote:
I guess to summarize your outlook on things, if a tree fell in the forrest and no one was there to witness it, the event never made a sound.

Summarizing my outlook - if you post something that can't be read by others unless they have a subscription, it's basically a waste of time.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900, maybe you failed to notice, but I did give you an alternate source to access the article outside of the constraints of the Washington Post. Why don't you just read the article and cut the BS.

Regarding accessing articles, I've found that most newspapers offer readers the opportunity to review a limited number of them monthly without having a subscription. I know that the New York Times and the Los Angeles Times both do this, and it was my recollection from some time ago that the WP did the same. The only newspaper that I know that denies folks right out of the shoot is the Wall Street Journal.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Post also allows limited access to articles each month.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jail em
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty ironic Steve-o, considering many of Drumpf's BFF's are actually going to do real time, and probably die in jail ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: