myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Climate Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 192, 193, 194  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LHDR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Aristotle (384 -322 B.C.)
" Young people have exalted notions, because they have not yet been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things - and that means having exalted notions. .. Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning - all their mistakes are in the direction of doing things excessively and vehemently. They overdo everything ...."
But, as Socrates (469-399 B.C.) said ".....Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their household ...."

Well said. And just like that, I'm sure they both would ridicule those who still cast doubt on global warming instead of urgently doing things to limit it.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to the manipulation of the young, and their idealism. (The snowballing school walk-outs in protest at climate change.)

There is considerable comment in our country that they are NOT directing their anger at the right targets, and they are now being manipulated by political forces. Our government has done more than the world norm in reducing atmospheric CO2 emissions (phasing out coal power plants - subsidies for a massive expansion in windmills -extortionate taxes on fossil fuel) to the effect that over the last 6 years our CO2 emissions are now at their lowest levels in more than 120 years. It is now calculated that the U.K. contributes little more than 1% of global CO2 emissions.

Why are the young not being told that China for example (one of the main culprits) is building over 200 gigawatts of NEW coal fired power stations, and that they are financing more than a quarter of world wide construction to the tune of around 36 billion dollars?

You accuse me LH of being in denial, and not caring but I recognise the way the young are being fed the belief that there is some magic wand solution. (It just needs a change of government etc, preferably hard left.)

If I don't care, and I'm not worried about the direction things are going, why would I be up at 4 o'clock in the morning (can't sleep) writing this?
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was Plato who once said (paraphrasing here, going from memory)~
"For a society to be successful, it will depend on who teaches the children, and what they are taught."

Back when my daughter was in 3rd grade, she came home from school one day and told me that they got to see "An Inconvenient Truth". So I asked her, did your teacher say that this is what is happening, or did she say this is what some people believe? She said "this is what's happening".
Boy was I pissed! It turns out I wasn't the only one, and the local school board, in my little town, heard about it from a bunch of other parents, I didn't have to do a thing.
They stopped showing it, late 2007.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LHDR wrote:
GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Aristotle (384 -322 B.C.)
" Young people have exalted notions, because they have not yet been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things - and that means having exalted notions. .. Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning - all their mistakes are in the direction of doing things excessively and vehemently. They overdo everything ...."
But, as Socrates (469-399 B.C.) said ".....Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their household ...."

Well said. And just like that, I'm sure they both would ridicule those who still cast doubt on global warming instead of urgently doing things to limit it.

Proverbs 18:2-3 Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions.

This is only about collecting more taxes. Politicians know that the wealthy cannot pay for their social programs. They need a tax on everything.

The yellow vest protesters continued to burn Paris this week. Months of burning. They are sick of the carbon taxes. What do you think will happen here if fuel taxes doubled? Our cities would burn.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
Proverbs 18:2-3 Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions.

This is only about collecting more taxes. Politicians know that the wealthy cannot pay for their social programs. They need a tax on everything.

Umm, are you sure you want these two statements together? I almost choked on my coffee laughing too hard.

Coachg
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
I think it was Plato who once said (paraphrasing here, going from memory)~
"For a society to be successful, it will depend on who teaches the children, and what they are taught."

Back when my daughter was in 3rd grade, she came home from school one day and told me that they got to see "An Inconvenient Truth". So I asked her, did your teacher say that this is what is happening, or did she say this is what some people believe? She said "this is what's happening".
Boy was I pissed! It turns out I wasn't the only one, and the local school board, in my little town, heard about it from a bunch of other parents, I didn't have to do a thing.
They stopped showing it, late 2007.

That's deep, man..
mac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The increasing frequency of heavy rain, both globally and in the Mississippi River Basin specifically, is among the clearest climate change impacts on weather. A warmer atmosphere holds more water vapor. Recent storms along the Mississippi River have been supercharged by running over a warmer ocean and through an atmosphere made wetter by global warming.

Heavier rains, combined with intensified snowpack melt on the headwaters, tributaries and mainstem of the Mississippi river, are increasing flood risk for basin communities. The increased precipitation is interspersed with periods of no rain, creating a weather whiplash effect, which increases the risk of severe weather at both extremes. Since 2005, the Mississippi River Valley has sustained successive 100, 200, and 500-year rainfall events, a 50-year drought, Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Isaac.

Recent advances are making it easier to pin specific weather events to climate change. An attribution study published one month after heavy rainfall battered Louisiana in August 2016 found that climate change nearly doubled the chances for the heavy downpours that caused devastating flooding across the gulf state.

Average temperatures are increasing in states along both the upper and lower Mississippi, although at varying rates. Increasing heat has costly implications for agricultural yields, labor productivity, public health, energy costs, and infrastructure throughout the corridor. These temperature trends are explored more closely below.

From https://climatenexus.org/climate-change-us/climate-impacts-along-the-mississippi-river-corridor/

About events prior to this years floods--which are even worse. They appear to be related to unusual cold and ice jams, not necessarily heat--but increasing chaos in weather has long been forecast in modeling.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
MalibuGuru wrote:

Umm, are you sure you want these two statements together? I almost choked on my coffee laughing too hard.

Coachg

Well, I'm glad your opinion is the final arbiter. That doesn't change the fact that Global Warming taxes ARE TAXES......on those least able to afford them. Hence, the yellow jacket riots. Not opinion. Facts.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG,

I didn't offer an opinion. I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of your opinion that appears to have gone unnoticed. You have to admit, it is funny.

Coachg
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
MG,

I didn't offer an opinion. I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of your opinion that appears to have gone unnoticed. You have to admit, it is funny.

Coachg

Oh no, I understand it. Al Gore said we wouldn't have ice in Antarctica by now. In the 70s they said we were going into an ice age. Scientists "all agree". They don't all agree though. I'm a sceptical about how realistic it is to have a noticeable impact on the climate. It is changing. It's always changed. The pyramids were built in the rainforest thousands of years ago.

Why did that change? Climate change 4 thousand years ago was human caused?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 80 of 194

Jump to: