myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board repairs in the gorge
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
30knotwind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Board repairs in the gorge Reply with quote

Who is doing board repairs in the gorge. (Open Ocean is not doing repairs anymore and I heard that Pierre is also done)

I have two dried out epoxy boards that need some pre-season help, e.g. a soft spot and a loose footstrap insert.

Also reply with other ideas, e.g. YouTube or locals that can mentor a fix. I have not worked on boards before, except for field repairs with Solarez.
Thx!
Chris

kmf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Pacific surfboards in Hood River will repair your boards.

KMF
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
North Pacific surfboards in Hood River will repair your boards ...

... and do a far better job of it both cosmetically and structurally.
30knotwind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP is too busy this time of year to do repairs, but he walked me through what I needed to know about the repairs above on my Starboard boards. He was very kind and helpful. He says Gorilla Glue works very well for soft spots because it uses water as a catalyst.

So, for a soft spot, drill a few 1/4 inch holes in the soft spot, inject Gorilla Glue, cover with clear plastic and weigh it down with a bag of dog food. Then use Solarez over the holes, fiberglass only if needed or desired.

estherjibe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out boardlady.com before you do anything with gorilla glue. Eva hates the stuff.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Board repairs in the gorge Reply with quote

30knotwind wrote:

I have two dried out epoxy boards that need some pre-season help, e.g. a soft spot and a loose footstrap insert.

Also reply with other ideas.

What does "dried out" mean? If it simply means "old", that's unimportant. If, as implied, it means "got water in it but is now dried out" ... no, it isn't. It may be driER, but it is not dry. The remaining breath of moisture turns to vapor on a warm day, which permeates the whole board and ultimately (Tomorrow? This summer? Next year?) delams the hull. Once water gets in, we have to pamper boards (e.g., keep them in the shade or on cool water, remove the vent screw when not sailing, don't put them in a bag or a closed vehicle, don't store them in a hot garage ... whatever it takes to keep the board core at comfortable room temperatures. That will delay delam.

Now, about "other ideas".

1. Repair it yourself for kicks, and plan on junking it when it delams or sinks anyway.

2. Keep on sailing it as is until it is pronounced dead. One well-known and very prolific Gorge shaper admits that he expects an epoxy board to last him one season before turning to a beanbag. (He sails a LOT.)

3. Next board, pad the deck (with NSI pads https://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=13) BEFORE it goes soft. I've been doing that for 30 years and never had a deck go soft ... in addition to its other benefits.

4. Swap meets. You can find equal or better replacements for MANY boards, in better shape than yours, for double digits. If ya missed the first one two days ago, there will be many more, beginning April 14.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eva hasn't ever posted about clear Gorilla, I don't think it existed the last time her site was updated. She's talked about injecting epoxy and CA (both hard NO!). Clear Gorilla is flat out brilliant when used correctly. I always lay glass on top but in am also not a weight weenie and usually I'm fixing noses or rails rather than soft decks.
30knotwind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is "Clear" necessary? I can only get "Original" in White Salmon.

Screenshot_20190401-155802~2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  228.94 KB
 Viewed:  29803 Time(s)

Screenshot_20190401-155802~2.png

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30knotwind wrote:
I can only get "Original" in White Salmon.

I had to chuckle at that one (it was tongue in cheek, I presume). Somebody here in TriCities complained in the newspaper because there were no hardware stores in town*. Lessee ... 2 Lowe's, 2 or 3 Home Depots, a DIY, 3 Ace Hardwares, 3 Walmarts, and many more stores that carry and/or can get Clear Gorilla Glue, not even counting the following source available even in White Salmon, Lyle, and Wishram:
https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-4537503-Glue-Clear-3-75oz/dp/B074J7XQZT/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=322159004578&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9033811&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=13162745420731823773&hvtargid=kwd-422752087609&keywords=gorilla+clear+adhesive&qid=1554165600&s=gateway&sr=8-3

* For those who don't know, TriCities is a contiguous sprawling conglomerate with little more than a dotted line on a map -- a bridge in one case -- delineating three municipalities. i.e., ya can't tell one from the next without a map (and you don't care). Only a handful of ancient holdouts would think for even a second about which of the three towns (get it? TriCities ... three cities, one town?) "the hardware store" is in.) You have something similar in the bustling metroplexes (metroplexi?) of Hood River, The Dalles, etc. Very Happy
westender

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Cascade still around? Regular Gorilla glue will make the deck solid for years if you don't mess up the job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: