myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Top cap setting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Top cap setting Reply with quote

2015 Maui Global. Says set the top cap to 4cm. Measured from where to where?

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Top cap setting Reply with quote

Measured from the top of the top cap to the top of the sail that the top cap strap is attached to.

You seem to be a numbers and definitions kind of guy. You can twidget yourself silly in this sport if that what you enjoy, but setting the top cap approximately 4 CMs above the sail will be fine, if you have the recommended mast for the sail and the right base extension. I wouldn't get
wound up in the exact settings. Go to the website of the sail manufacturer
and look at a properly rigged sail. If your sail looks like that then you
should be pretty close.

Roughly most sails should be floppy down to about the second batten.

Good luck,

-Craig

rtz wrote:
2015 Maui Global. Says set the top cap to 4cm. Measured from where to where?

westender

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set mine so I can use the shortest mast and a non adjustable stubby base whenever possible.
dhmark

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like this is a 4.5 sail. The specs say the luff is 400, and downhaul setting is also 4. Some extensions will not go down to 4, will only go to 8 or 10. Therefore you would have to have more than 4 sticking out the top to have 400 luff with some extensions. Whatever the minimum amount of extension is available, you want to have the same amount of mast sticking out the top to have the exact specs right. On the other hand, specs are always just approximate, and all sails have some range of downhaul adjustment.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen sail specs off by a whole foot ... 30 cm. As is suggested above, the key is to learn how your sails should look when rigged properly. That varies significantly between two models within one brand, and even more so between brands. The same goes for outhaul specs regarding tension, distance from mast of the batten above the boom, draft/foil depth, sail foot shape, leech droop, and more. And listen to (i.e., feel) your sail on the water. If it feels wrong, it probably is. Change one thing (among maybe a dozen variables) at a time and see if it improves anything. Just one of MANY examples: if your sail feels like a big slab of plywood, it may be downhauled insufficiently (or on a wrong mast, or outhauled too much) for that sail. Make one significant change and sail (and look at) it again. One popular rule of thumb is "If you have to ask whether you're downhauled enough, you aren't".

Someone once asked how to lace his downhaul cleat to his sail downhaul hardware. East Coast guru Roger Jackson explained step by step how to lace that particular cleat/sail combination, while I offered detailed procedure and criteria for lacing ANY cleat/sail combination. The OP then asked "Which of you is right?".

We both were. However, Roger gave him a fish, while I taught him how to fish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: