myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Glide wind foil on regular powerbox board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hausi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Glide wind foil on regular powerbox board Reply with quote

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone had experience using the glide wind foil from NP on a board with a regular (non-reinforced) powerbox? In particular after how many sessions the powerbox broke?
Also, if there are any easy ways to replace the powerbox with a reinforced one?

Regards,
Christian
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

local shop 2-rad will re-enforce fin boxes for ONLY $200
there is a good reason for the price
they also sell foils Smile
brand_adam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally Hausi I'd just get the NP setup with the Powerbox adapter, and run it on your Powerbox board with a leash. Think about it this way, there's no such thing as a reinforced Powerbox for foiling, so NP designed this setup to work with regular Powerboxes just like yours. They likely designed it with a plate that would distribute load with the weakest Powerbox board in mind, the last thing they'd want is people griping in forums about the system failing. They warn on the JP website (an NP company) that running this setup voids warranties, but that is just to cover their asses. Go on Instagram and you'll see pics and vids of NP team riders happily voiding their JP warranties. I'd sail the hell out of it and just keep an eye on it, if eventually you see cracks or if it were to fail, the leash will save the foil and then you can worry about getting a reinforced system installed.

I run a similar plate system with a regular Tuttle box and it is perfectly fine.

Good luck!
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double leash it.
Biggest plate is safest, like PowerPlate.
Don't hit anything underwater.
Over 75 days is the norm.
Single screw is the weak link.
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Glide wind foil on regular powerbox board Reply with quote

Hausi wrote:
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone had experience using the glide wind foil from NP on a board with a regular (non-reinforced) powerbox? In particular after how many sessions the powerbox broke?
Also, if there are any easy ways to replace the powerbox with a reinforced one?

Regards,
Christian

When I figure how to ride a foil (around 2022) I will be tempted to get one to use on my RRD FSW 90L, check this out using a JP 92L Freestyle board! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=johAQ03kDL4 (unfortunately in French)

Original question: nobody can really know how reliable a Power Box will be, or how long will it last ... maybe forever. JP/NP are not fools and the wide base in power box configuration should guarantee a solid connection. The single bolt should be fine, I don't see how it can be sheered off following an impact ... if it gets to those level of stress the hull would deform first.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may be counting on PB boards generally being less wide and so reducing the leverage on the box.

I'd have definitely bought the Glyde if it was available when I was looking. It ticks a lot of boxes and seems to be an accessory to your mid-sized freeride rather than a separate pile of equipment.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever wonder about max fin sizing for boxes?
Single US box, about 12" or 32cm.
Pb, about a flexible 52.
Tuttle unreinforced, about 50.
Deep tuttle unreinforced, about 80cm.
Deep tuttle reinforced, easy 120cm.
Insufficient info on double US.
Now you do the math.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a former shop employee for over 23 years, I get to hear a few problems.
For Pb screw breakage in N SF bay, easy 10 broken screws complaints with Pb boxes. And with fins shorter than 50cm.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
They may be counting on PB boards generally being less wide and so reducing the leverage on the box.

I'd have definitely bought the Glyde if it was available when I was looking. It ticks a lot of boxes and seems to be an accessory to your mid-sized freeride rather than a separate pile of equipment.

The main difference is the presence of the base plate that distributes stress on a wide surface. Not really a "power box" any longer (the plate comes off when you use the foil with a Tuttle box). They go to quite some lengths to explain how to mount the base properly making sure to close any "gap" btw hull and plate with the provided gasket.

Kind of brilliant in its simplicity .. fast forward a few years and foils like this will be light wind "fins" for 90-110L boards!
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
grantmac017 wrote:

The main difference is the presence of the base plate that distributes stress on a wide surface. Not really a "power box" any longer (the plate comes off when you use the foil with a Tuttle box). They go to quite some lengths to explain how to mount the base properly making sure to close any "gap" btw hull and plate with the provided gasket.

Kind of brilliant in its simplicity .. fast forward a few years and foils like this will be light wind "fins" for 90-110L boards!

That's why I initially bought the Slingshot was for the load plate. But then I ended up converting a PB board to a carbon DT anyways.
Personally I'd rather have a PB on a mid sized freeride board unless DT becomes a "standard" since PB fins offer much greater options.

For me foiling is something I don't want to replace a regular board and fin, just extend the wind range down and possibly eliminate some larger sail sizes from my quiver. For that I think the Glyde is damn near perfect. I'll look for one used in a year or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: