myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn’t read it, did you? Even funnier, you have assigned the state responsibility for economic equality, and absolved the economic system. Did you do that in Latin?

The article I posted showed that California’s net migration is lower than most states, and certainly lower than Texas. An article in either the East Bay Times or the SF Chronicle on Sunday said it was even lower than the 2017 article. A small number of people move around the country, from state to state—3%. People like Tucker Carlson spin the numbers and people like Techno bite. The old saying goes, there are liars, damned liars, and statisticians. But keep dancing—someone might be amused.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spin it as you wish, but this is what is all over the web:

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/11/16/census-142932-more-people...

Last year, California had 142,932 more residents exit to live in other states than arrive, according to an analysis of a new report from the U.S. Census Bureau, released Wednesday, Nov. 15. This “domestic net outmigration” was the second-largest outflow in the nation behind New York…

Mac said:
Quote:
The article I posted showed that California’s net migration is lower than most states, and certainly lower than Texas.

In the article:
Quote:
According the U.S. Census, between 2014 and 2015, California had the second lowest out-migration rate after Texas

Big Woop! Hang your hat on a one year stat that is about the "rate", not net numbers. Now, "rate" does mean something, but doesn't contradict the stories that I posted and the country leading outmigration in warm bodies.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,
I have to agree with Techno here. My daughter moved to Austin for the next 4 years for school at UT. I looked at renting a trailer to take her stuff but it was $350 going from Ca to Texas, $70 going from Texas to Ca or $15 a day for round trip. Luckily I was able to cram everything in my minivan.

The fact that people are leaving the state is a great thing when you consider who is leaving. Those of us that are non-partisan recently passed the Republicans as the second largest political party in Ca which means our state is getting younger, more diverse & smarter as all the conservatives leave.

Coachg
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Mac,
I have to agree with Techno here. My daughter moved to Austin for the next 4 years for school at UT. I looked at renting a trailer to take her stuff but it was $350 going from Ca to Texas, $70 going from Texas to Ca or $15 a day for round trip. Luckily I was able to cram everything in my minivan.

The fact that people are leaving the state is a great thing when you consider who is leaving. Those of us that are non-partisan recently passed the Republicans as the second largest political party in Ca which means our state is getting younger, more diverse & smarter as all the conservatives leave.

Coachg

1 in 5 live in poverty in the tenth largest economy on the planet....SMART???
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving a high tax state for a low tax state is not a new thing. And, demographics is speeding up the process in CA, as many retirees bolt the state, take their home equity and buy a home in another state for cash...
Ashland OR, Bend OR, are littered with ex-CA residents, similar to West Palm Beach, or Clearwater FLA....Not much has really changed, but it makes for a nice debate...
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:

Coachg, Thanks for the insights into the meaning of "non-partisan". I had no idea it included demeaning remarks about the party with whom you disagree.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Mac,

Coachg

Coach G—A lot of people leave California every year—but it is a big state, and the percentage of the population that leaves is lower than most states. People leave—and come—to California for many reasons, but economic opportunities and high costs are among them. But that happens in every state—and California isn’t really different than other states. Techno’s article spun that into a lie.

It is disturbing to see housing under built in the state. But that has been going on for thirty years that I know of, where the housing industry focused on the buy-up market not entry housing—because profits were greater in buy-up. I assumed that there would be market forces that would eventually correct that—but the market impact you can see is higher wages for many skilled positions. Part of that is the coastal areas have one of the nicest climates in the country. For many—but not all—businesses, the opportunities are sufficient that they stay here and pay more.

The poverty rate in New Mexico is astonishingly high. https://talkpoverty.org/state-year-report/new-mexico-2018-report/

California’s rate is actually 13%–but Matty’s never seen a fact he couldn’t misrepresent. South Carolina is 42nd in poverty—over 15%. Alabama 46th—they used to be last.

I know that facts won’t stop California bashing. I also know that pushing back won’t result in the haters actually doing their homework or using more credible sources. But it is cheap entertainment.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More, posted just today on the MSN news page~
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/retirement/retirees-are-flocking-to-these-3-states-fleeing-these-3-in-droves/ar-BBW2jPB?ocid=spartandhp
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30, I have to ask, are you going move to some other state any time soon?
mac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
More, posted just today on the MSN news page~
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/retirement/retirees-are-flocking-to-these-3-states-fleeing-these-3-in-droves/ar-BBW2jPB?ocid=spartandhp

Back to talking points I see. Once you've drunk the kool aid, I guess that's all that's left.

Let me know if you need help packing. If you move to Mississippi or Alabama, I reckon you'll increase the average IQ of both states.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 43 of 205

Jump to: