myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
nw30 wrote:
More, posted just today on the MSN news page~
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/retirement/retirees-are-flocking-to-these-3-states-fleeing-these-3-in-droves/ar-BBW2jPB?ocid=spartandhp

Back to talking points I see. Once you've drunk the kool aid, I guess that's all that's left.

Let me know if you need help packing. If you move to Mississippi or Alabama, I reckon you'll increase the average IQ of both states.

Mac the bigot and serial hypocrite.......
mac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for Matty, idiot California basher. The rate of poverty is higher in Massachusetts than California. You can stuff your fake rage in your bots drive.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Coachg, Thanks for the insights into the meaning of "non-partisan". I had no idea it included demeaning remarks about the party with whom you disagree.

Mrgybe,
It includes demeaning remarks about the party that is bashing my state.

Coachg
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody consider:
Quote:
Supplemental Poverty Measure takes into account differences in cost of living between states (i.e. housing costs appreciably higher/lower than the national average) as well as taxes and the value of government assistance programs. All data are from the United States Census Bureau.

Here, California comes in with the highest poverty rate!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_poverty_rate
vientomas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Anybody consider:
Quote:
Supplemental Poverty Measure takes into account differences in cost of living between states (i.e. housing costs appreciably higher/lower than the national average) as well as taxes and the value of government assistance programs. All data are from the United States Census Bureau.

Here, California comes in with the highest poverty rate!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_poverty_rate

35 out of 56 is the highest?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Mrgybe, It includes demeaning remarks about the party that is bashing my state.

With respect, it is not demeaning to cite statistics which suggest a high level of dissatisfaction with life in California. That's what most here seem to have done. By contrast, it is demeaning to state, without support, that most leaving are Republicans who are old, white and not very smart. That is not "non partisan" commentary.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
coachg wrote:
Mrgybe, It includes demeaning remarks about the party that is bashing my state.

With respect, it is not demeaning to cite statistics which suggest a high level of dissatisfaction with life in California. That's what most here seem to have done. By contrast, it is demeaning to state, without support, that most leaving are Republicans who are old, white and not very smart. That is not "non partisan" commentary.

Well,, no. This is an example of the favorite talking point trick of the right--reasoning by anecdote. Usually ginned up by a suspect source. Let's look at the truth. California, particularly in the coastal areas, is an expensive place to live. There are many reasons for that, some the failure of the market, some the failure of government, some just life. The result is a slight outmigration--2.5%--and lots of kvetching. Matched by bragging about how much more your home is worth now than when you bought it. Here is a credible source that provides the actual numbers: https://lao.ca.gov/laoecontax/article/detail/265

I cannot for the life of me imagine moving to Texas, where the average summer temperature is much higher, where politicians are besotted with opposing abortion and doing favors for oil companies and where windsurfing opportunities are limited, particularly during the hot summers. Yet people do it. And to some degree, they are influenced by their political views. So Coach G. is correct at least in part.

Of course California is not the only state people are leaving--part of the malaise that helped elect Trump was the hollowing out of rural America--which has been going on for a century. The highest percentage of people leaving a state is Illinois. See https://www.forbes.com/sites/karstenstrauss/2018/01/10/the-u-s-states-people-are-fleeing-and-the-ones-they-are-moving-to/#7fdc0c526c32

There are separate trends where people leave an area because they have retired and they move to places where the cost of living is lower. Or they have family, or ...

People who are capable of critical thinking realize that many problems have different causes. Other people are obsessed with bashing California, don't know much about it, and resort to talking points.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vientomas said:
Quote:

I guess you didn't look at the last column titled: "Supplemental Poverty Measure", where California is at 23.4%, higher than any other state, which was the point of my post.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:

Um, you might want to reread the posts. There is plenty of Ca bashing going on other than bogus or real statistics.

You want support? The Republican party has gone from the second largest party is Ca to the third largest party. So either the Republicans are old & dying or they are leaving the state. A third option is they are leaving the Republican party to join the non-partisan party which makes those leaving smart. Kind of a brain drain to the current Republican party.

Coachg
vientomas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
vientomas said:
Quote:

I guess you didn't look at the last column titled: "Supplemental Poverty Measure", where California is at 23.4%, higher than any other state, which was the point of my post.

"Supplemental Poverty Measure takes into account differences in cost of living between states (i.e. housing costs appreciably higher/lower than the national average) as well as taxes and the value of government assistance programs."

That makes sense putting CA at the top when factoring in housing costs...lots of expensive real estate there. However, adding that metric to the equation seems a bit odd. Not sure of the reason for the Supplemental Povery Measure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 44 of 205

Jump to: