myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anybody windsurf foiling in SoCal?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laci

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Anybody windsurf foiling in SoCal? Reply with quote

I have not yet seen anyone (although I have heard there are some)windsurf foilers in Santa Monica, Topanga, Secos or County Line. Admittedly I haven't been at the beach much this winter.

My question to anyone who is doing it is "What do you do about weeds???" I am thinking I want to get into foiling but it seems the weeds would be a deal breaker around here. Am I wrong?
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've foiled down at Cabrillo several times when I go down to SoCal. It's a great spot. I think only one time was the kelp a problem on a low tide day. There are two others I know who foil there.... one on race gear and one on recreational gear. I'm actually surprised there are not more people foiling at Cabrillo. I was able to foil on a 5.2 when the locals were on 8.5 slalom stuff, and we were all having a great time.

the harder part with foiling in the open ocean is shore break. usually Cabrillo has small waves, but it's a pain (and potentially dangerous) to carry that stuff through the waves into deep water. I think the racer guy goes out of Ventura Harbour when he foils up there?

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wonder why guys ALWAYS rig with sooooo much downhaul..even in non overpowering breezes.
I'm 160lbs., almost always on same size sails as foilers on my freeride boards. And guys like Kevin at 200lbs. can fly around on a 4.8 and 88 liter board in 17-22 mph breezes.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the LA racer dude is Ron, one of the Cal Cup racers.
airwave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, this guy is saying you're weighing in at 200 lbs. You're going to need some bigger sails.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bigger? He does just fine, and has for 5 years,with a 4.8 as his biggest sail.
When he weighed 175 10 years ago, he could uphaul his 85 liter boards.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the racer foiler is Xavier Ferlet. You probably know him from Cal Cup. He drives all over the state to windsurf... I wonder how many miles he puts on his van each year.

i'm not 200lbs... but i'm not that far off either... got up to 198 in December, but I've lost a few since then. Most people still think i'm a lightweight though.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
laci

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not as worried about kelp beds that are easy to see and avoid. I was thinking more about the eel grass that is floating everywhere, and cannot be seen or avoided. I know that even a normal upright fin will quickly collect so much eel grass that sailing becomes impossible until it gets cleared off, thus weed fins have been required to sail here. How much more vulnerable would a foil be that a race fin? I think it would be frustrating to the point of making it not worth doing. Otherwise foiling seems like it would be ideal in a light wind spot like SoCal, sailing would be possible in wind that only kites have been able to go out in!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with foiling at Leo is rocks at the entry, and shore pound. However, there is zero kelp this year and the storms have brought so much silt, that the rocks are barely showing.

County has more rocks and less sand than usual.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xavier is smoking fast, on any gear. He weighs about 160, and was fast on Formula with smaller sails than most (8.5 when some were sailing 10's), and has been known to sail a 10 meter sail on his foil set up. He is also very nice and approachable. Designs race car engines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: