myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness with the most back support
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Best of luck Reply with quote

Dan,

All the best in the upcoming surgery and a speedy recovery. This sport needs you !
Thanks for all you do for us recognized or not !

Tom
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing about using a seat harness. Some of us discovered that you could unhook from them to twist, gybe, jump. and 'knock the snot' out of the surf, pre back bothers.

It's not hard to see why kite surfing (in SURF) is now so popular over here. There is no rig to get in the way, and being locked into a seat harness certainly doesn't impede their twisting, twirling, jumping! I envy some of them!

We all agree 7176, and wish Dan a safe and good recovery.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT, the majority of kiters i have seen are using waist harnesses. lots complain about their backs too.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be a local choice 'thing' John. Seats are popular in our neck of the woods. I can well believe they may have back ache from waist pulls if they loft as violently as some I know do!! A friend jumped over me at speed, with a huge pendulum swing and a fiendish grin on his mush!!. The speed of the pendulum effect was amazing, and he cleared me by a mile!

I'm using a kite seat harness for all my windsurfing now. It pulls in all the right ways for my body. The hook had more of a curl, which I eased open a bit with a bit of help from a vice, and it works fine. I really like the quick release catch for emergency hold downs. (The kiters now have safety down to a fine art - and some of them need it!)
Sandman1221

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dakine XT seat harness gives a lot of lower back support.
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the extra padding around the center of my harness, I could no longer get adequate support from my old Dakine T4. The harness got too soft and my back was arching inside.

I found a way to use a Dakine bar with my old ION Radium, and the back support was night and day. It seems to be appreciated by most. The up-and-down play is also greatly reduced and it may not need to be as tight as others.

Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Ride Engine carbon hard shell... first two sessions were pretty amazing! Granted, my older harness was pretty worn out, so just about anything would have been a step forward, but the hard shell offers a LOT of very comfortable support, spread evenly over a fairly large area without any pinching spots! Pretty stoked on it so far!

http://wind-nc.com
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This harness business is certainly complicated. We all have to figure out from experience what suits us best, in the long term.

Those who prefer being locked into a waist harness usually insist that it allows them to twist more easily (from lower back joints, discs, ligaments etc) as opposed to having their hips locked to the boom by a seat harness.

Since I don't notice any obvious seat harness restriction when locked to the boom with feet locked in the straps, in normal B&J conditions (out of harness in surf excepted) the continual 'twisting' when board and rig angles vary is coming from my knees ( continually moving one forward and one back) and to a lesser extent, from feet and ankles.

From what I notice of kiters jumping (in seat harness) they do the same thing in 'flight' as they lever the board into 'show off' angles (don't blame 'em) with their legs.

I think the only conclusion must be we are all different, either from experience, or because we just choose to be! But you can be sure, we all think our way is best!!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, what my remote multi million generation removed Stone Age grandfather Ug may have said, as he bonked the future Mrs Ug on the head with his trusty cub, and hauled her by back to his cave by her hair, (third along on the left of the south facing cliff) ...

"I always fall back on that wonderful friend called experience. And I still vigorously maintain that it is best learnt when self taught, even though the result of getting it this way smacks you on the bottom so to speak, at times."

He may not have been a windsurfer, but all of this was in pre Google times when it was actually necessary to think, then act, for yourself!

I've followed his example because, after all, had he got it wrong I wouldn't exist, so I owe him one!! Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: