myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Learning to gybe before the big 7.0 - only 8 years left!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fxop wrote:
I watched your video and agree with your instructor, hanging from the boom to begin the setup/entry.

This is what I like about the Dasher 12 step video. He spends a lot of time on setup. Work on your setup and entry.

fxop

Exactly. Work on this.

manuel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally spaced probably the most important piece!! Look ahead, head up, the rest is done with peripheral vision. I am very guilty of not looking ahead enough particularly at the duck jibe.

Looking ahead smoothes out the turn, it's like having a safely rope to hang onto.

isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
.if still wanting to learn and all of those 12 step and other multi-step methods seem to be just too much, try Mike Flick's "Throw-Throw- Grab & Go" method. Can be found somewhere in these threads. You need to be trying it in lots of wind at first in my opinion. YMMV.

donwh wrote:
be more aggressive in the sail flip. Per Mike F.'s tutorial from years ago (Thanks Mike) I learned to literally throw the sail around the mast, no hands, it spins back to you. Turn the board aggressively, lean forward and throw the sail! Of course, typing this makes it seem easier than it was... Very Happy

Thanks for your observations, guys. What could be simpler than eliminating all the hand and foot work and Just Doing It? I'm constantly puzzled at the number and dogged determination of people who insist that of all the jibe techniques out there, we must all jibe according to their cookbook. Many of them even distort or just plain make up things I never posted about it in their attempts to denigrate something they don't even understand. It escapes me why so many people so strongly oppose a technique so simple (almost no cumbersome hand or foot work), versatile (it works from 5 to 50 mph), efficient (it gets ordinary sailors upwind more reliably and quickly than trying to tack small boards), elegant (your hands don't touch the rig and your feet often just glide weightlessly across the deck to their new positions), and quick (it takes longer to spell "SPIN" than to flip a sail ... and you can go for "CAT" if you like). I never get over the seemingly magical willingness of the sail to float in the air, at either wind speed extreme, right where you want it for the exit broad reach (that's where GRAB and GO come in.)

Now if I could just reverse the ravages of Meniere's disease, I could still do it almost every time. Sad Fortunately, this way reduces the dependence on balance. Smile
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
What could be simpler than eliminating all the hand and foot work and Just Doing It?

Unless you're talking about carving to backwinded while in the foot straps, there is no such jibe. "Your" jibe contains exactly as much hand and footwork as any other description of a planing jibe. That you don't mention the refinements that actual planing jibers use doesn't mean "your" jibe is simpler, it only means your description is less detailed.

If you want to reduce hand and foot work in a planing jibe, go for duck jibes.

isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally wrong, PP. But you'd know that if you'd actually read my descriptions. The complete ones omit nothing. And, no, I'm not going to waste precious time I don't have, especially TOW, to video it. I have a life, for the time being.
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditch the 12 step method. It's too complicated.

The majority of non-pros that I have seen truly plane through jibes, switch their feet after the sail flip and catch.

The only people who I have ever taught to jibe without dropping off a plane, had no knowledge of the 12 step jibe. Those who had struggled with the 12 step jibe can't convince themselves to switch their feet after the flip and catch, and still have never planed through a jibe.

Mount a really small rig on a skateboard. Use a helmet and lots of pads, and go to a super smooth parking lot with clean light wind (5 mph), and no traffic. Then you'll see how easy it is to make a smooth turn when you don't have to switch your feet.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:

The majority of non-pros that I have seen truly plane through jibes, switch their feet after the sail flip and catch.

My guess would be those sailors have been windsurfing since the 80's, when flipping before switching the feet worked well (and the mast foot was much further forward on the board, helping trim the board nose to tail). The vast majority of people I see truly plane through their jibes switch their feet first (except in waves).

I myself am a product of Dasher's 12 step instruction, and switch my feet first 90% of the time, and plane through my jibes (and have posted my share of videos demonstrating this.) Foot switch second jibes can be glorious (see duck jibing) but they're less versatile in bumpy water. Switching the feet first, getting the new front heel forward and weighted allows the sailor to keep the nose down and avoid losing planing speed. If you're actually carrying warp speed as the board carves through downwind this isn't a concern, but most people working on planing through jibes are not. Also, if you're carrying that much speed you pretty much have to flip first, as you're already on a broad reach in the new direction. But this is rarely the lot of the sailor learning planing jibes.

The "12 step method" and its close cousin ABK Boardsports teaching, have successfully taught thousands of windsurfers to plane through jibes (and duck jibes, and freestyle jibes).

fxop

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jibing always reminds me of the Seinfeld description of sex: "There was a lot of screaming, at one point I was upside down, and then I was thrown clear."

For those of us who aren't elite, there is usually some rough aspect to our jibing. With Dasher's dvd you can go to that phase of the jibe that's bothering you and isolate it and fix it.

I really love to do a little sheet-out on my entry, which messes up everything that follows. For some reason the right way to setup/enter a jibe wasn't in my muscle memory when I learned at age 40 but clutching with my front arm was. Every spring I look at Dasher's setup/entry footage and I'm good to go.

"12 steps" sounds complicated but it really is 12 ways to improve your jibing.

fxop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: