myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Alabama burnishing its credentials as the 49th best state in the Country...

https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/alabama-next-to-last-in-us-news-ranking-of-best-and-worst-states.html

At least they are protecting babies.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting list: https://publicpay.ca.gov/Reports/ReportBuilders/TopListNoSplit.aspx?year=2017&TopType=1&ChartType=1&TopN=1000&DataSet=1&PopCategory=0&EntityTypeIDs=1,2,4,3,5,6,9,8,7,10,11

It's good to work for the University of Calif. In 2017, 841 public workers made over $500,000, probably 90+% in the University system. And 70 making over $1,000,000, almost all in the Univ. system. Now all they have to do is fund their pensions.
mac

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Interesting list: https://publicpay.ca.gov/Reports/ReportBuilders/TopListNoSplit.aspx?year=2017&TopType=1&ChartType=1&TopN=1000&DataSet=1&PopCategory=0&EntityTypeIDs=1,2,4,3,5,6,9,8,7,10,11

It's good to work for the University of Calif. In 2017, 841 public workers made over $500,000, probably 90+% in the University system. And 70 making over $1,000,000, almost all in the Univ. system. Now all they have to do is fund their pensions.

Now if someone had interest in truth, and any analytical skills, they would compare the salary schedule at the University of California to that of comparable positions at Stanford and the University of Southern California. Of course, they would have to factor out the bribes to get the children of rich parents into those schools.

I won't hold my breath until techno actually posts a credibly comparison that he can explain. He'd rather cite a study that lumps clerical positions with engineering positions to support his biases.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:

https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/alabama-next-to-last-in-us-news-ranking-of-best-and-worst-states.html

They are taking the state back to the stone ages with excessive GOVT intrusion. Funny how Republicans have now become the party of intrusive GOVT....
techno900

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac said:
Quote:
Now if someone had interest in truth, and any analytical skills,

Oh, please share with us what is untrue about my post! Do you have an issue with your California government web site not posting factual information?
LHDR

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno, you often weasel your way out, but if you wish to argue that CA overpays UC employees, you have to do better than pointing out how many earn more than $1 million or whatever. That's just a silly, typical Republican argument. Like mac and I think coachg pointed out, some of the highest earners are coaches, most others, as far as I can tell, are physicians/scientists who make most of their money in the "other pay" category which "for the University of California, the largest categories of Other Pay are health sciences faculty non-base compensation derived from clinical revenue and contracts and grants, as well as additional compensation to faculty for summer session teaching and externally-funded research conducted during the summer". And, of course, you can't be bothered to actually compare UC jobs with similar jobs at other universities or the private sector.

My guess is that most states have some problems with overpaying some public employees, including people in the UC system. I remember frustrating stories of ridiculous salaries and pensions for individuals all over the country. But of course, for a Republican it's got to be CA and the UC system.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
techno900 wrote:

Now if someone had interest in truth, and any analytical skills, they would compare the salary schedule at the University of California to that of comparable positions at Stanford and the University of Southern California. Of course, they would have to factor out the bribes to get the children of rich parents into those schools.

I won't hold my breath until techno actually posts a credibly comparison that he can explain. He'd rather cite a study that lumps clerical positions with engineering positions to support his biases.
A similar argument used by so many other liberals when they bring up any European country as some sort of logical comparison to our country about whatever. It's lame at best.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
MalibuGuru wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:

They are taking the state back to the stone ages with excessive GOVT intrusion. Funny how Republicans have now become the party of intrusive GOVT....

I am all for letting liberals abort their kids. I wish their parents had done the same Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
mac

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time a stupid Alabama anti-abortion law was overturned, they paid the legal bills for both the ACLU and Planned Parenthood. Get ready to pay the same lawyers again. It might be the water. Contaminated with pig shit?
mac

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LHDR--what is funny about techno's posts--and there are three now doubling down on biased sources--is that I actually know how salaries are set for public employees. I hired, when I could, people from universities and private consulting firms. Salaries are determined by "salary surveys", a method by which salaries for similar jobs in public and non-public sectors are examined. That system can be worked--a little bit. But if you want to hire an environmental scientist, or a civil engineer, or a biologist, whether in state or local government in California, you will pay the prevailing wage. I could be persuaded, with a credible source that actually compared like jobs, that some areas overpay. But I know first hand that local governments in California can't pay enough to attract quality highway engineers or IT folks. They don't pay enough.

What is sad about techno's posts--not merely this one, but many--is his eagerness to post an "aha" to disparage California or liberals, without having the most basic understanding of either the credibility of his source, or the methodology that he has used. The idea of this kind of mind teaching kids, even somewhere in the South, gives me the willies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 47 of 205

Jump to: