myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pelvis tilt and waist harnesses
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Pelvis tilt and waist harnesses Reply with quote

Hello sailing freaks!

Recently, my back had been getting a beating with mattress and harness issues along with frontloop back slaps. Changing the mattress, moving away from Dakine T-Series to the ION Radium and staying sheeted in longer during forwards seem to help quite a bit.

Now I was curious to know whether anyone had thoughts in regards to best-fitting waist harnesses for those who have (or not have) pelvis tilt?

Thanks all and happy sailing Smile !

EDIT:

That's it, I got it. After a nice break, came back and understood how to drive the sail power by sticking my bum out. Shoulders may remain forward towards the sail. My back is completely straight, my abs and legs are taking the load. I may get low to get on a plane and be safer but the main concept is bum out.

This also alleviate any harness riding up issues along with any back stress. Wonderful! Took me about 15 years to learn to use a waist harness, great Very Happy !

My front arm can push against the boom when well lit up to resist sail flattening and shove more pressure in the harness.

As a result of this new technique, my skills have improved all around, speed, planing threshold and wind range. It's quite spectacular.

Last edited by manuel on Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
marc5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manu....anterior pelvic tilt? I can understand how a waist harness aggravates that condition. Several years ago I returned to a seat harness--Dakine Reflex and I love it. There is a limited amount of hook height adjustment, but unless you like your hook near your nipples I think you'll make it work. Give it a try.
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, anterior.

Interesting read: https://www.windsurf.co.uk/waist-harnesses-2017/

mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before changing harnesses you will be better served to address the root of the problem which is probably weak/ tight lower back muscles. A lower back stretching/ strengthening routine should fix it. A seat harness puts you into an ideal position to perform pelvic tilt exercises and can help you to relieve that feeling of strain or fatigue while you are sailing. Downside is the extra effort to hook in. If you are in and out of the harness a lot, a waist harness may work better and you will have to rely on the increased strength/ flexibility from your lower back exercises.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several seat harnesses on the market that have high hooks, but DaKine doesn't make one, not anymore anyway, they used to have a Surfseat, great harness, I went thru several of them, gotta look elsewhere. I'd post mine from Flying Objects again, but it gets repetitive.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
A seat harness ... Downside is the extra effort to hook in. If you are in and out of the harness a lot, a waist harness may work better ...

That, or lower the booms and/or use longer lines. There are many ways to make bringing line and hook together as easy or as difficult as desired. The deciding factor may rest in other factors, such as back support, arm length, maneuvering ease, safety, resting boom on board tail, waterstarting leverage, etc.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to play with different pelvis angles, footing and sail trim to find a stance that can handle both gusts and lulls. The idea is to let the sail rotate and pivot around the hook while keeping drive onto the board.

When powered with single fin, it's quite easy and natural. When lulls are deep, water state choppy using multifin, it's more challenging.

I really like my ION Radium, it could sit a little lower.

SergioKapul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I do have lower back issue, I'm always on the look out for best harness for me. Current favorite is dakine c1, it's a hardshell low profile kite harness. I do retrofit it with roller bar, etc.. I can show it you, I'll be in Cabarete for my usual 4th of july trip, arriving in 2 weeks.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use seat harnesses for all my sailing. waves, race, touring. worx for me
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
steve1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
i use seat harnesses for all my sailing. waves, race, touring. worx for me

This! I started with a waist harness in the early 80's and gave myself a bad back. I switched to a seat harness for everything in 93 and would never go back. I was somewhat incredulous when waist harnesses became fashionable again in the late 00's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: