myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ezzy Cheetah vs. Sailworks Retro 8.5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhmark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my sail. A couple of posts up you can see I was looking at HotSails GPX 8.0 as potential upgrade. One of these went on sale, so minus my Ebay sale I was able to modernize/upgrade for about 250. Never owned a longboard, I was looking for light wind cruising on a Bic Nova and medium wind on my 115L freeride board. Enjoy the sail.
dhmark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I gave up my 7.5 Zephyr to systemslib for a 2016 HotsailsMaui 8.0 GPX bought new on sale. The GPX also rigs on a 460, but due to cut-out clew the boom length is 209. I also got rid of an Aeron carbon boom 175-225 for the zephyr that was extremely tail-heavy due to tapered tubes, heavy carbon reinforcement in the tail piece, and a huge plastic pulley system, and replaced it with lighter and spongier North Silver alloy boom 160-210 on close-out.

Maybe it is due to the clew length and the boom, but I am extremely happier with the GPX. Sail has equal power, handling is much improved due to swing weight and shorter clew, I think I am faster and board seems to ride higher and smoother.

I hope the Zephyr has worked out... at least it was a good deal.
systemslib

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man, yes it was a good deal and no complaints. I have sailed the zephyr probably 10 times or so mostly in winds of 10-25+- knots. It does indeed deliver more power, compared to the 8.0 cheetah it pulls as the sail powers up, but then is pretty smooth. The cheetah can be dialed in a bit more and is a little easier to swing/cut up down on waves/gusts in overpowering conditions but the zephyr is no slouch though not as tune-able.

I would say the cheetah is built more rugged as the zephyr panels are not reinforced as well but that reflects in retail pricing of the two. I have not had any problems with long boom and water drag, etc. Overall on the phantom 380 it does well. I would say the description of power of 8.5 is about right, I do not find it to have the lightness/handling of a 6.5 though! You do have to reach further back on boom on tacks/jibes and snap harder to get the battens around. I like the hsm offerings though as from old school sailing background so I dig their use of dacron. If $ was no limit I would pick up a hsm superfreak classic but for my size/board would need new mast blah blah.

Anyway I figure the zephyr should deliver a couple seasons of use, I tend to sail my gear pretty hard but take care of it off the water. As mentioned the durability does not seem as good but it is a 10 yo sail so could be xscrim has changed, yada yada.....but to the question of does it deliver a bit more power I would say yes.
systemslib

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed the zephyr yesterday in 10-30 winds, delivered as always. Last season I sailed it even more than the cheetah. Picked up a 8.0 retro a couple of weeks ago, will be sure to report on its power. Dimensions are bigger than either ezzy so figure it will have the most power.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you managed to windsurf during COVID-19 pandemic ??

parks are closed and police give tickets here for any social "misbehavior"

saw something about some pro getting in trouble with the "authorities" too
systemslib

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, yes going again this afternoon. some Maine state parks are closed and the federal park (acadia) is closed. But hundreds of access points on lakes and salt water remain open, many are not state land but fall under Great ponds act which guarantees access! Now could they be closed? Sure, but I dont see it happening. Just received another email update reminding that fishing and outdoor activities allowed so long as social distancing observed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: