myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
RV rental for gorge windsurfing trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duckjybe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: RV rental for gorge windsurfing trip Reply with quote

Anyone done the gorge in an RV? if so, any advice? E.g. where do you stick all the windsurfing gear?
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people, how many boards, sails, and booms, and how long a trip?
I've driven 600 miles to Gorge on 4 trips, 2 for 2 weeks before I got homesick.
Honda Civic, usually 4 boards, 7 sails, 3 booms, and 3 masts plis one surfboard for the coast.
duckjybe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just two of us for about a week. we will rent the RV in portland, and rent gear from Windance. their setup is great by the way - rental package includes a board and FOUR sails ( so will have 2 boards and 8 sails total). other people I know just stuffed everything in the RV, and then unloaded it each night , but looking for more palatable options.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The common 24' Class C MH sleeps 6. That leaves two empty beds and a lot of cabinet space for gear. I stow 5 or 6 boards in my rear bed like books on a shelf. Simple mods (it's MINE, not a rental) pack in 4 more boards. Booms and short masts fit in the shower (Again, simple mods accommodate more and clear the shower for its primary function: hanging wetsuits.) A Sprinter-based MH will increase the challenge significantly, but 2 boards, masts, and booms sounds doable and sails can be piled anywhere horizontally or vertically. I'd visit an RV dealer with a board under your arm and see what fits in your RV candidates (that's how I bought my MH.)

Renting a MH is a fantastic way to visit the Gorge, because "the Gorge" spans roughly 300 miles (central OR coast to "out east"), and one never knows from one day to the next where the wind will blow. I do not envy (to put it mildly) people who feel compelled to pack it up, drive 75 to 200 miles to their lodging, and eat at a restaurant while self-contained sailors are still sailing their asses off ... and, worse yet, must rewind that tape the next morning while self-contained sailors are sailing their asses off again. (Ya sleep when it's too dark or calm to sail, which happens all too much in most Goge trips even in mid-summer.) Rule #1: Never Save Energy for Tomorrow, Because Tomorrow Never Comes. i.e., We can sail only Today, and forecasts are hypothetical.

Bring all your toys, as it's EASY to get no wind anywhere even in a July week. If that happens, hie thee to the OR coast and enjoy the best non-sailing vacation you ever had.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, on the roof tied down with rackstraps.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldeurope wrote:
just two of us for about a week. we will rent the RV in portland, and rent gear from Windance. their setup is great by the way - rental package includes a board and FOUR sails ( so will have 2 boards and 8 sails total). other people I know just stuffed everything in the RV, and then unloaded it each night , but looking for more palatable options.

I can not think of what or where you can store gear overnight.
Where do you intend to park then ?
I would consider thieves.

This would be better posted in the NW region.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: