myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Infinity 76 wing first thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmcilhiney

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only review video online shows that the tester of the 150 levitator and 76 wing could not control the board in anything but a position. Expert rider doing foil loops. I think it was boards UK that did the test.
CoreAS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmcilhiney wrote:
The only review video online shows that the tester of the 150 levitator and 76 wing could not control the board in anything but a position. Expert rider doing foil loops. I think it was boards UK that did the test.

One of the reason's Tez has mentioned (and yes he is an amazing foiler) why he used position A was because when looping it puts tremendous pressure on the fuse, and so having the mast right over the front wing gives it a better chance of not buckling. He also foils in different water conditions (choppier sea in the U.K.) than we do in Dallas, TX. Five of us use the SS foils and we all use B position.

Overall we all foil differently! we are all different height & weight, so we use different foot strap positions, mast base positions, boom heights all these variables are going to effect foil wing pressure and where you prefer the foil in relation to your stance etc.

The SS booklet is a general guide, so I wouldn't take anyone's word, instead try the fuse positions yourself and find which one works for you.

Gwarn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed Treasure Island yesterday on the 76 with the wizard 105 with a 3.4 with winds blowing 25 to 30 in the B position, mast track all the way forward.
She rode like a dream B works for me from a 6.1 to a 3.4 but I've only had a couple of months foiling.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the downsides to having an adjustable, modular system like Slingshot is that it presents way too many options, and yes, I think most people have no idea how to set up their stuff. what is pretty standardly accepted now is that the center of lift of the front wing goes between the front and rear footstraps. You can bias the wing position to make the feeling more front or back foot dominant. Also the adjustability makes the foil adaptable to different boards, but it also creates confusion.

FWIW, when I got my stuff, I asked Wyatt directly how to setup my foil, and he said B. I also ignored his mast track recommendation as I'm a track back kinda guy.

Last month I put a beginner on a Leviatator 150 with the Inifnity 84 in C position. He had been trying foiling on a converted windsurf board with the 84 wing with pretty much zero success. First run on the new setup (with the wing between the feet) and dude flies on the wing for like a mile straight no joke (from the Candlestick launch all the way to the other side at Brisbane). I was totally blown away and stoked for the guy.

Everybody I've introduced to foiling is set up on a Slingshot board with the 76 in B position (unless they're really heavy in which case 84 in C)

My friend killing it on only his 4th ever day foiling (using my Wizard 125 & 76 with a 3.7):

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByOIijdnIuf/

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discussing wing position without mentioning details like board type and mast position is a bit like discussing sail sizes without mentioning wind strength and ride weight. The general directions from the manual (see picture) are pretty clear.

What might be helpful would be to hear what exactly the issues are when the foil is in the wrong position. The manual hints that if the front wing is further to the back of the board, it might be harder to get up on a foil, but easier to keep the foil from breaching. It seems wind strength, gustiness, sail size (relative to the wind), experience, and sailing style all come into play. Gwarn's post gives a lot of the details.

Slingshot Manual Excerpt.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.01 KB
 Viewed:  1041 Time(s)

Slingshot Manual Excerpt.png

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
The dude with 200 days of foiling told me never to sheet in or out like we do when windsurfing, instead to push the whole rig (both hands) away when we get tempted to sheet out.

What stance does he / do you sail in? In a more upright stance like the first image, pushing the rig away with both hands would move the mast forward, and put more pressure on the nose. I can see how that would keep control in gusts.

But for PWA foilers on race gear who have a stance that's more like a regular windsurf stance (off the side, sail closed), I'm not sure how that would help.

I guess most foilers will be closer to the upright stance, so not sheeting in or out but instead pushing the rig away sounds like good advice.

Upright foil stance.png
 Description:
Upright foil stance
 Filesize:  302.69 KB
 Viewed:  1038 Time(s)

Upright foil stance.png

PWA foilers.jpg
 Description:
"Off the side" stance by PWA racers
 Filesize:  56.57 KB
 Viewed:  1038 Time(s)

PWA foilers.jpg

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing that occurred to me looking at the pictures above: the PWA guys are much lower than the "upright stance" guy. Looks like the mast maybe 1/3rd out of the water for all of them. I think they are approaching an upwind mark. Are they using the long mast like a formula fin to get better upwind angles and/or speed?
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carving the Infinity 76 & Wizard 125

61373068_2269530383259286_7189585529053562138_n.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.9 KB
 Viewed:  1020 Time(s)

61373068_2269530383259286_7189585529053562138_n.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dcharlton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upright works for me.
[/img]

61891970_2481932918491863_6516673506497789952_o.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  213.9 KB
 Viewed:  1004 Time(s)

61891970_2481932918491863_6516673506497789952_o.jpg

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cool shot of a foiling turn. Makes me think I have been a bit to tentative in my carve....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 5 of 24

Jump to: