myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Thanks Joe Lindstrom for help at the Hatch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robert364

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Thanks Joe Lindstrom for help at the Hatch Reply with quote

I want to give a shout out to Joe Lindstrom. While sailing at the Hatch today, the line (rope) holding my boom clamp broke. I was finally able to swim to the shallow side near OR, Joe came out with new line so I could fix it. Also thanks to Woody (I think, maybe others?) for spotting me and alerting Joe.
Lessons learned for me: 1) Change boom clamp line each season (not just downhaul and outhaul lines); 2) Carry spare line when sailing; 3) Lot of great people here in the Gorge (I knew that already).
Thanks, Joe! I owe you a beer (at least!)
Bob Mansfield
combs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear the great people of the gorge continue to assist those in need.
As a long time boat sailor, also appreciate the line versus rope designation. There are no ropes on a boat (or windsurfer). The definition of a line is a rope with a purpose! PS- replace that inhaul with some spectra LINE and it will never fail!!
mjhibner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Bob. No beer necessary. I'm glad I could help out. I have been the recipient on a number of occasions.
flaherty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the line on the chinook boom clamp broke ? Just wondering, because last year I was screaming along, hit a sandbar full speed and went over the handlebars. The line on the chinook clamp broke. And separated the boom from the mast. It was a few years old. Luckily I could stand up and walk in. But got me thinking , I should have checked it, and if I was out deep , I don't know how I would have clamped the boom back on.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the shout out for an exchange of line, mine are all due

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
robert364

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flaherty wrote:
Do you mean the line on the chinook boom clamp broke ? Just wondering, because last year I was screaming along, hit a sandbar full speed and went over the handlebars. The line on the chinook clamp broke. And separated the boom from the mast. It was a few years old. Luckily I could stand up and walk in. But got me thinking , I should have checked it, and if I was out deep , I don't know how I would have clamped the boom back on.

Correct- the line broke. I took a hard fall, still hooked in, as I fell I torqued the boom and the (old) line snapped, so the clamp was no longer grasping the mast. The boom and clamp were intact (Chinook). So I just needed new line. Would have been tricky to replace in deep water. Fortunately, I was able to get to chest deep across the river, and a Good Samaritan helped out.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use your uphaul to wrap boom and mast together.
Finish off by wrapping your harness lines around the ugly mess.
I've forced guys at Crissy to give up their zipper pulls to wrap the boom to the mast.
gwandsh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry a couple of lines wrapped around my harness hook. A shorter one to replace an outhaul, a longer one for a downhaul. Never thought of a boom head line, but I guess outhaul would work.
In a pinch, the two together can tie up a rig, or tow a buddy.
windgypsy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time you need it you’ll be glad you have a next line wrapped on your boom arm.if you ever sail alone you will save you or you won’t
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: