myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 257, 258, 259 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodwind wrote:
Gwarn wrote:
Why not just go to treasure island where there is parking and wind Shocked Arrow

John, I thought you've been going to TI by boat. Exclamation

Been very strange at the stick last couple of days windwise...strong early, light late.

Strangest season in memory. The Stick had two days with oscillating SW and NW winds that blew kind of strong early and died out by around 4 pm.

Tired of looking for non-existent wind, by this time in a a regular season I had at least 45-50 great days split equally between Crissy, Stick and Coyote . This year I had 1 day at Crissy (ended up at the Sailing Club), 3 very good days at Coyote and a handful of so-so days at Stick Shocked Shocked Shocked

Today I went MTB at China Camp. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by dvCali on Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
ERROR!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: 2019-06-19 Sherman Island Reply with quote

Today, there was very good wind to go with the ebb tide in the morning and the wind lasted all day! The image is of Willi catching a roller and then doing a cut back.

2019-06-19 Willie Wave Rides.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  439.67 KB
 Viewed:  11903 Time(s)

2019-06-19 Willie Wave Rides.png

dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12-21 at Berk from 5:30 to 8, but of course, I come in after 11 roundtrips from 3rd dock to just past kitebeach.
Still a horrid foiler, 3 breaches and twice that slogging. Very up and down, but gusts of 21 would have me on same 5.2 and 90 freeride board.
Just too much wind.
This is a fog year, not good for NW dependent spots.
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: FANTASTIC DAY AT STICK! Reply with quote

As for earlier forecasts the North West is in ... well ... actually ... it is SW, seemingly straight out of San Bruno Mountain. That direction can work nice at Stick so I rig 6.5 grab my Exocet 90 slalom and I slog until I reach a wind line, not sure what direction, and I take off. Nice!

And so it goes for a good hour, eventually the wind switches a bit (I am being sarcastic) to a solid NNW. A crazy direction for Stick seemingly out of Bayview Park ... oh well, it is still wind. Eventually it comes down and I take out the Isonic 111 (go Isonic!) that gives me another 15'. Now the wind is turning SW again, and I decide to call it a (good, given the times) day.

By the time I load everything on the Van, the wind is a bit stronger, it seems like a repeat. Bill goes out with a 130L and big sail and while I am driving toward the freeway entrance I see that he manages to get on a plane.

This is what counts as a fantastic day in this season! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind can be fickle.
Berkeley. Rig 4.8 Revo and 86 3s, get 6 powered reaches and backs off. Make it in and watch it die to around 6-16 in 10 minutes.
Ohh boy, perfect foil wind.
Get one smooth reach in 17 gust and it comes up hard over 20. My 230lbs bud is planing on a 6.7.
I figure it will die back down, so breach twice and fighting to stay on the water. Naish foil.
I would be fine on a 95 liter board, but I was on foil.
Smart move to go in, but wind was Westerly then, making a long slog in AND a 105 step hike to my car.
I limp normally, bad ankles.
So it's to suffer 4 roundtrips and survive whiteknuckle to 3rd dock, drag the menagerie. 300+ steps to the car...and watch it die back down to 5-15 as everyone slogs in.
Could have gone back out, but my marathon was over.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Candlestick was pretty good today. Reply with quote

wind was mostly out by the Highway .
I was Ok on 5.3 could have gone bigger.
Lots of the regular Locals and the Freestyle local crowd.
Was not Gusty but kind of up and down at times.
Also pretty warm.
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: New Brighton on 06-22-2019 Reply with quote

Well no wind anywhere in the County of Santa Cruz so decided to go out anyway on my SailSUP and see if I could make a dent in a non-binding goal to sail all of the coast of Santa Cruz County this summer. In bits and pieces, mind you, not all at once. Also the plan is to launch and land on the same beach with each session, not to do just downwinders.
So I launched at New Brighton State Beach and sailed down to off of Seascape Resort and then back to Capitola and up to Privates and then back to New Brighton. Wind was 10 knots when I was rigging, but died away by the time I launched. Session was all in 4 to 8 knots of wind.
Caught only one decent wave, but was not out for that. Just doing the coasting for the most part.
One other windsurfer out off of Capitola. Some nice boats in the anchorage, but nothing too exotic or from far, far away.
The following are images of my tracks. One close up and one showing the whole shoreline of the County which is the intended goal. The Southeast section should be easy as there is always a beach to land on. The Northwest is going to be a bit sketchy as safe havens are few and far between.
[img][/img][img][/img]

Pic Format of Windsurf Track from New Brighton 02.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.1 MB
 Viewed:  11583 Time(s)

Pic Format of Windsurf Track from New Brighton 02.png

Pic Format of Santa Cruz County Coastline with Windsurf Track 02.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  581.43 KB
 Viewed:  11583 Time(s)

Pic Format of Santa Cruz County Coastline with Windsurf Track 02.png

dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Couple of good days Reply with quote

Finally the wind is in, stuck at Stick for now (did not want to risk a trip to Coyote or TI) but better. Still erratic but with a bit of patience yesterday I got a great late afternoon session: RRD 90 + ACX 5.4 VERY overpowered when the wind comes back after 5 pm. But who cares, the RRD with K4 30 fin goes through the Coyote chop with no problem when overpowered: at the Stick it just flies. Almost surely not slalom fast (I should clock it, but I really doubt I break the 30 knotsbarrier) but the control is incredible Very Happy

Just me and Elena out to partake of the little bonanza, it drops some after 6 pm.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berkeley sesh on Wednesday 6/26

4.4/95STB for me and 4.6/88 Stubby for my visiting friend. seemed like there was wind power, but the water was bumpy, slow and draggy. Got some powered runs early around 3pm. Seemed to come down after awhile and I came in and grabbed the foil board. I knew it was a mistake but I didn't feel like rigging a 3rd sail, so I just went back out on my 4.4 w/ the foil. Could zip around but it wasn't that fun having that much excess power. Ideally would have been on 3.7 or so. also didn't help that the wind seemed to have come back when I hit the water w/ the foil. kept overfolling trying to ride the swell on the outside. felt like a rookie again.

should have just waited for late in the day to windsurf.... looks like it was best after 5pm.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, saw you and Dom out on foil, so rigged a 4.2 and the board. Looked closer around 5 and chickened out on foil to rerig 4.7 and 85 liters for a fun 50 minutes of little chop hops and occasional jumps.
MikeM was on ws.
No Sofi, but A said she was really op'd where I was sailing..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 257, 258, 259 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 258 of 329

Jump to: