myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is this what we pay for?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people can't get it right even when they're trying.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You and me both amigo, but it's your advice,

-Craig

dllee wrote:

Moral of the world...!

Do not but anything made on Monday or Friday. .

dllee wrote:
I've always wondered why a person expects to know and control everything.

grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is considered acceptable workmanship for a board which had a +$1500 MSRP?
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not for some of us Grantmac!

The last new board I bought was 10 years ago, and that was just a Bic techno 133. (The Bic robot controlled moulding process eliminates much of human error.) Any more recent boards I've bought (J.P. freerace last year) are second hand with a known history and use, and no arising issues.)

When you sail with others who use the latest boards, it is easy to compare how an older board shapes up. For example, on two good recent 5.0 metre days of bump and jump, on my favourite 2008 Exocet cross 94 litre, put me at no disadvantage I could detect (not surfing) against others, either speedwise, or chuck about wise. (Despite just having a single fin.)

My unfashionable view is that change for changes sake is not necessarily any advance for normal competent non world champs. Happiness and satisfaction are feelings - and you know when you have them. Only problem - my favourite 94 board from 2008 is now, should I say, well used, and won't last for ever. It will be cough up silly money time for a new replacement, but does any company still make high performance single fin all rounders? (That haven't been padded out with filler!)
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
My unfashionable view is that change for changes sake is not necessarily any advance for normal competent non world champs.

That is certainly true. In Hatteras, it's quite common to see windsurfers on 20-year old gear sailing circles around newer gear. To some extend, just knowing your gear really well makes a big difference.

But improvements happen, and sometimes are dramatic. In the last couple of sessions at Kalmus, I noticed two sailors who had gotten the same new board last year. I used to be able to easily catch them both when drag racing - not any more! One of them now is faster than I am on my freestyle board, and the other one (who was a bit slower) now is about the same speed. Their jibes also have improved noticeably. Needless to say, they love their new boards (but we usually do, don't we?). Both of them are "slow adapters", with no desire to follow any trends, and bought the new board after having a chance to try it.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that new board was?

-Craig

boardsurfr wrote:
GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
My unfashionable view is that change for changes sake is not necessarily any advance for normal competent non world champs.

That is certainly true. In Hatteras, it's quite common to see windsurfers on 20-year old gear sailing circles around newer gear. To some extend, just knowing your gear really well makes a big difference.

But improvements happen, and sometimes are dramatic. In the last couple of sessions at Kalmus, I noticed two sailors who had gotten the same new board last year. I used to be able to easily catch them both when drag racing - not any more! One of them now is faster than I am on my freestyle board, and the other one (who was a bit slower) now is about the same speed. Their jibes also have improved noticeably. Needless to say, they love their new boards (but we usually do, don't we?). Both of them are "slow adapters", with no desire to follow any trends, and bought the new board after having a chance to try it.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You purchased the board used, without stating how old it is. The MSRP, has no bearing.
The original manufacturers warranty is one year from date of manufacture.
The board as I see it completed it’s obligation as did Starboard, if it’s been in service longer than the warranty. It doesn’t seem to be effected by what you refer to as putty.
You obviously have a different opinion as to what’s acceptable, vote with your wallet.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's telling 'em Cool
westender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buyer beware. Were the soft spots there when you bought it. Maybe it would sail good for years. Not acceptable but some of them are not perfect?

grantmac017 wrote:
So this is considered acceptable workmanship for a board which had a +$1500 MSRP?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
And that new board was?

The board was a Fanatic Blast. The Blast seems to work extremely well in our typical conditions. I've had only a couple of sessions on it and liked it a lot.

I did not mention the specific board because it is just an example of how new boards can sometimes be vastly better than old boards. Whether they are better for any specific sailor in their conditions is a very different question. What impressed me with the Blast that two quite different sailors showed very obvious improvements in their sailing after switching to it. There are similar stories about other boards like the Severne Fox or the Windtech boards in WA.

What's unusual about these boards is that the feedback is close to 100% positive. That's different for other boards. I thought the Goya Bolt was a fantastic board when I tested it, but my wife found it boring. She loves Fanatic Falcons from various years and in various sizes, some of which I like a lot less than slalom boards from a couple of other brands (which are also older). I think the newer Falcon shapes are oriented towards top results in PWA racing, and therefore less well suited for average guys like me (who probably should use the Blast, Severne Fox, or ... instead).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: