myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Short Board Pivot 'Flare' Jibe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Short Board Pivot 'Flare' Jibe Reply with quote

I'm not doing so hot with my attempts at fast tacks and as I get more into waves I like the idea of pivot jibing my short board to help keep me up wind.

I've seen some good vids out there and for a 'heavy weight' 215lbs, it seems like this may be a better option to practice than the speed tack for my 99ltr wave board.

I haven't seen much on youtube but any help, advice and/or tough love would be appreciated.

DC
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heli tacks are usually easier than any tack, as you stay farther back and backwind your sail, giving you lift.
But non planing slog jibes work with sinkers when you remember to get well forwards to avoid sinking the tail.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This came up recent:
https://www.windsurf.co.uk/peter-hart-masterclass-the-spinny-gybe/
westender

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For maximum style points, flip your sail at mid pivot.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM Isobar,
He does them all the time because he can't tack to get upwind either.

Coachg
alap

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsDI_M3D8H8
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Review our threads on short board tacks. They've very thoroughly covered staying upwind with fast carving jibes. Ignore the legions who can't do them and thus declare them impossible.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep momentum, leverage swell so that it gives you a push. Look up and away where you're heading. Stay clew first if you have zero wind. Keep dead center. Adjust footing depending on whether your board sinks forward or back. Practice, practice, practice.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Short Board Pivot 'Flare' Jibe Reply with quote

dcharlton wrote:
I'm not doing so hot with my attempts at fast tacks and as I get more into waves I like the idea of pivot jibing my short board to help keep me up wind.

A few things:

1. Tacking on anything but a large board is a "twitch" move. You do it all at once, without pausing to think as you do the hand and foot work. Tacking requires lots of practice to move quickly and with confidence. It actually doesn't matter that much precisely when you go around, or the sequence of hand and footwork (though instructors can tell you what's best). Keep practicing until you pop around quickly. Practice on a big board in light winds to put your tacking chops into muscle memory, THEN try it on your smaller boards that will demand soft feet.

2. Tacking is far better for staying upwind, in waves or anywhere else. The way we know that is the pros all tack, on all boards.

3. We're not pros, so having pivot jibes in our bag of tricks is good too. As Manuel said: practice practice practice. Good windsurfers can both tack and jibe. "Can" does not mean hitting them 100%, so don't worry about that.

Tacking, pivot jibes, and helitacks are all things we can practice in nonplaning conditions, to develop confidence and muscle memory.

jpeter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My no wind gybe success increased greatly when using a 3 batten sail. Ezzy taka. Jp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: