myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Multi fin selection for onshore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Get thee to CapeSebastion if the NW pattern ever establish's itself.
Or just wait till Gorge get's hot and windless.

I'm in Victoria BC, I can drive 45 minutes and have +20kts most of the summer. We've had lots of wind this summer and it'll continue so long as the smoke doesn't happen again.
Longbeach (on Vancouver Island) has outstanding side-off conditions so long as you don't mind some float and ride. I haven't made the drive yet however, perhaps this weekend?

My Gorge trips have been hit or miss. Perhaps one really good day followed by several crappy ones which is tough when it takes a full days travel plus an expensive ferry ride. Having a foil helps but I can foil at home.
If work allows I'll head to Pistol River next June for a week or so.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever been to Nimpkish lake in N Vancouver Island?
A former bud from the early 90's lived up there, and was an expert shortboard sailor, equal to the best at the Gorge.
He said the midsummer wind was great, but that the W coast was hard to access.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nimpkish is waaaaaay up there, Nitnat is more accessible/popular but unfortunately has succumbed to a nasty rash of kite-itus these days. Both can produce Gorge like winds but unfortunately lack the fetch and current for good swells.
Along the south west coast there are a number of side-on spots, further up the east coast same thing during winter frontal winds.
Longbeach on the west coast can be awesome but you need to be prepared for zero wind wave activities (SUP or surf) both of which I'm miserable at. It's also absolutely lousy with tourists and board rental companies with all the accompanying costs/kooks (me included).
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like things have opened up on Vancouver Island W coast accessibility.
I haven't travelled lately, getting old and senile instead.
In the past, I've done multiple Baja trips and several NorCal to mid Oregon surfsailing ventures.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
My Gorge trips have been hit or miss. Perhaps one really good day followed by several crappy ones ...
If work allows I'll head to Pistol River next June for a week or so.

That's common in recent years, including this April and May (most of those many days of very strong winds out east in April and May had 500-1,000 yards of glassy wind shadow for packed parking but minimal people on the water. But MAN did that change this month. I don't remember a longer, stronger, more consistent streak of Gorge wind in many years, maybe decades, ending this past Sunday. (That's why I didn't go to Pistol even when younger and healthier; I'm burned out on long, risky trips.)
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

17cm Scorchers transformed the board. Better by far for my purposes. Tried as a twin but not for me, perhaps in better surf.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: