myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fanatic Ultra Cat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rswabsin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alap,

Going back to your comment on the first page about rigging and down hauling your sail with the universal on the mast foot - you don't have to use the downhaul line attached to the uni - take that off. Put a knot in the end of the downhaul line and put it through one of the 2 pulleys on the mast foot and rig your sail the conventional way but only using the remaining pulley.

If you look at the universal you have, you'll see that you can remove & replace the mast foot attachment cup with one that can accommodate any modern mast foot (there's a bolt inside that's easily removable). I've modified mine to use chinook mast bases.

Rob
alap

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rswabsin,

idea 1 - yes, but firstly I will loose the power from 6:1 to 4:1, and my Sailworks they love downhaul.
On top of this I will be pushing with the foot against the bottom - sharp edges. I can of course carry a piece of wood so to put it between the foot and extension, but then I'll be worried about damaging the extension.

I checked with prev owner, he was rigging it with joint installed, so he had the rig with joint hanging on the bottom, put it in the water first, come back after the board and clip the joint into this car on the track.

idea 2 - yes, great idea. But I checked Chinnok base accessories page. They have the europin part that screws into the tendon, but then I need another part that will be between two bolts. I send him an email, if they have something.

But for the time being I'll give it a go as is. Try 5, 6, 7 probably 8.5 as well, figure the position, probably two or one, and then play it by the ear.

If the car breaks, I will put a two bolt plate in fixed position onto the track - will put two nuts embedded into the bottom of the track, so those do not rotate and don't fall out, i.e. will be solidly installed in the track.

Or if the clip brakes, but car is fine I'll put a nut in the bottom part of the car, and will use single bolt universal (I have one too). the single bolt universal will be sitting on the top surface of the car.

Both things I'll be able to do myself.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I much prefer a mechanical u-joint for raceboard use. It's much easier to connect in the water and the board seems to rail easier.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mech joints have been out since the mid 90's.
Are they reliable?
I've broken maybe 20 u joints, 4 orange tendons,2 black, but sold my mechanical in the latter 90's after maybe 40 usage days.
Just got a new one last week, used once in flat water so far.
alap

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
I much prefer a mechanical u-joint for raceboard use. It's much easier to connect in the water and the board seems to rail easier.

agree on that, especially connection in the water
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use a mechanical for high load conditions, jumping etc. They are very easy to inspect for damage and they don't really wear out since there is zero stress simply from flexing.
The only issue I've had is forgetting to locktite one together and having it partially loosen.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to that mysterious plug in front of the mast track:

Why would there be a hole in the board here? Most likely it is there so that closed cell urethane foam could be poured or injected into the hull after the top and bottom halves of the hull were molded and then assembled. No need to shape a foam blank for each board being made!

There is a company in Oceanside California making paddleboards in a similar fashion. Randy French of Seatrend fame shaped the original foam blanks. If anyone is interested in this technology you can read about it here: https://bouncesup.com/

Hope you get this baby on the water soon! Let us all know when you do!
alap

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very plausible indeed! I was sure it was technological but couldn't figure out what for and your explanation makes ton of sense. Especially in mass production.

as for custom cup just talked with Chinook, there are couple of possible technical solutions. But they cost probably like a board itself and there some hassle involved. I'll be sailing it as is with minor inconvenience of dedicated mast extension (so can't swap boards with the same sail easily, but it is unlikely I'll need to).

If and when it will wear out (although I think I will wear out faster unfortunately) I'll bolt the 2 bolt base with a clip.

hopefully next week it will touch the water again Smile after 15 years of coma Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: