myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing Vietnam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: windsurfing Vietnam Reply with quote

Does anyone have any first-hand experience on this topic? It seems like it might be a promising winter alternative for West coast sailors. I've searched the archives here and what info comes up is limited and a bit dated.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Tiesda of Starboard.
kinsie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Windsurf Mui Ne Vietnam Reply with quote

We spend 5 months a year there windsurfing and kiting in Mui Ne
Jibes is the local windsurf spot and countless other kiting places.
Its a long open bay with side on wind. The wind is consistent and blows almost every day from November through March. I'm 80 kilos and kite on 9 and 12. Or windsurfing 4.5 - 6.2. Jibes has Starboard and Severne sails. I rent windsurfing gear but bring a quiver of Kites and gear. Its easy to live there inexpensively. Rooms range from $6 for a shared hostel room to a basic room for $20 to 45 to a very comfortable resort for $75 - to ... more than I need to spend. Monthly rentals are about 200 to 400 per month. up to $1000 if you want higher end. Food is great! not just Vietnamese food. Its a beach town and has a very international flavor including food choices. Here are a few links to get you started:
https://www.windsurf-vietnam.com/
https://www.facebook.com/jibesbeachclubvietnam/
https://www.c2skykitecenter.com/
https://www.facebook.com/C2Sky.KiteCenter/
GuyT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great info, kinsie, thanks!
husby_d

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there in Feb/March 2018
I don't have much to add over what Kinsie says, except:

Jibes Beach Club is well-run and has good equipment. Also a good place to hang out while waiting for wind.

The conditions are mostly bump and jump. Jibes can arrange for a day trip to a wavier spot further up the coast.

Everything is cheap. You can get a good lobster dinner for under $10.

The local population is mostly friendly and happy. I didn't see any signs of the oppressive poverty that sometimes clouds the mood in some third-world countries.

It may be an alternative for west-coast sailors, but it's not easier to get to than the Caribbean. The flight is ~20 hours, and then there is a 4-5 hour drive from the airport to the beach. If I go back, I would look into a train ride from Ho Chi Minh to near Mui Ne. It's longer than the car ride, but might be a fun experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: