myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Willoughby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Lake Willoughby Reply with quote

Aloha,

I've heard that Lake Willoughby VT, gains some decent winds even it is not much windy around. Looking at the map, guess is that N-NW and SE are probably the best directions. Does anybody know where the launch spots are and other details/info about the lake? Would be great if we could launch my wife's Laser there as well
Thanks!

Andrei.
rthomas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed up at Willoughby a few times back in the 90s. The wind can really crank through the mountain peaks there, on any S or N related flow.
Southerlies are best, and there is a beach at the northern end of the lake, so it's pretty convenient.

I think there's a beach launch on the southern end, as I do remember sailing there on some northerlies.

Also - there's a boat launch on route 5A, on the east bank, about 3/4 of the way up the lake (head to the north). This may be the best spot (for southerlies), as the lake is pretty wide there, and the launch is facing due west.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rthomas wrote:
I sailed up at Willoughby a few times back in the 90s. The wind can really crank through the mountain peaks there, on any S or N related flow.
Southerlies are best, and there is a beach at the northern end of the lake, so it's pretty convenient.

I think there's a beach launch on the southern end, as I do remember sailing there on some northerlies.

Also - there's a boat launch on route 5A, on the east bank, about 3/4 of the way up the lake (head to the north). This may be the best spot (for southerlies), as the lake is pretty wide there, and the launch is facing due west.

Thank you for your reply!
We went there last Sunday and launched from the South end, both the windsurf and the Laser. The place is so gorgeous. While it was very light at the launch, between the rocks it clicked in and I could plane with 7.5 . Never sailed before between such huge rocks. Wow! The water and the breeze were on the chilly side. I guess this is due to the depth of the lake, about 100 m, and frequent water turn over when it is blowing.
Also, at the end of the sesh we met a local windsurfer there, Kevin, who gave us some further pointers about sailing on Willoughby. Overall, excellent sailing day.
The only downside was driving on Route 5. OMG, the road was carpet-bombed all the way through. Whoever was marking the potholes eventually ran out of paint Smile
Attaching a pic of my wife sailing her Laser in a distance.

Andrei

IMG_20190707_132133_.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.83 MB
 Viewed:  26176 Time(s)

IMG_20190707_132133_.jpg

DrWind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I will give it a shot sometime in the future. Usually when I am in VT to windsurf I head to Lake Champlain.

Lars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: