myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
foil transport
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: foil transport Reply with quote

If you have a long trek to the water with foil gear or any big heavy board, you may want to consider using a sports wagon/cart. I picked this up at Costco for $49 a week ago. The wheels move easily thru gravel/grass..not sure about sand but will give it a go next time I sail Crissy. Lots of stow area in the cart for wetsuit/harness , 6 pk of beer...

foil transport.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.09 MB
 Viewed:  21369 Time(s)

foil transport.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck going through Crissy sand.
Do you plan to lock the wagon when you're in the water?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like I should try harder to make the time to shoot and post pictures of the very simple, launch-tested, almost pocket-sized, $10 widget anyone can fabricate that lets me carry my foil board, in or out of its bag, with or without the foil attached, any reasonable distance, with one hand (and no shoulder strap). No one expressed any interest last time I mentioned it, so I haven't bothered.

Until then, why not just take two very easy unencumbered strolls (one trip w/two hands for assembled board & foil, one trip w/one hand for rig)?
bert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cart is for long hauls to the water. For short distances I use the handle Smile

big wing.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.64 MB
 Viewed:  21318 Time(s)

big wing.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm interested. What the heck is that handle, where did it come from, can it delam the skin, does it require long legs (to clear the ground) and/or short arms (to clear the ground but with great effort over long hauls)? Do you you trust it 100% when carrying over pavement?

I can guess how it works when the board is still bagged.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars, I'm interested in a picture or pictures of the widget you made for strapless, one handed trips to the beach carrying gear.

I sometimes strap one end of a windsurfer to a two wheel "cart" I made for long trips to the edge of a beach. I used 8" diameter wheels & with their attached axle from a lawn fertilizer spreader, screwed two triangular pieces to a plywood rectangle, used galvanized metal strap to attach the axle to the two triangular pieces, & added holes in the plywood piece that thin woven straps could go through. A thin woven strap (such as used for a life jacket, but longer) is permanently tied to one edge of the plywood. In use, after one end of the board is set on the top of the plywood piece, the loose end of the woven strap goes around the board and is temporarily tied to the other end of the plywood piece. The board is now the handle for the cart. Then the other end of the board is picked up and pulled or pushed to the water's edge with the attached cart. Rig parts can be bungeed to the board or carried down after the cart is taken back to the vehicle. I'm guessing my description sounds more complicated than the actual cart which is just my crude, simple way to temporarily attach two wheels to a windsurfer.
bert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars
That contraption is a bath/shower handle with suction cups (about 10 bucks on Amazon). You can place it anywhere under the board as long as its smooth and wet. I sometimes leave it on when I foil but tether it in case it comes off.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bert,

I use the handle also but can't find a good place for it after I launch. I heard some folks can leave it attached under the board but I have a really hard time getting on foil with the added drag.

I wind up putting it under my harness. A little uncomfortable but I get used to it. I only need it when I'm walking over rocks a couple hundred yards during low tied.

DC
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you can just sand some non-skid off the nose of the board and stick the handle there when you're sailing. might also have dual use as a nose protector
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
maybe you can just sand some non-skid off the nose of the board and stick the handle there when you're sailing. might also have dual use as a nose protector

Laughing

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: