myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
foil basics
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head to wind and stomp the back until the foil stalls. That's been the fastest way to stop that I've seen, doesn't usually result in a crash either.
us85

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried again last night.
I was able to take my front foot out of the strap, move it forward to bring the board down and then sheet out. Not really an emergency stop, but it did work for slowing down without breaching in a gust.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to anticipate the gust, fly lower, head slightly higher or lot's lower, and weight the boom, sheet IN more and lean more on front foot.
Can't react. Anticipate instead.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great where feasible, but has been pretty much impossible most places I've sailed. We can look way upwind and hope that patch of wind 15-30 seconds away is still touching the water when it reaches us, but that's a total crap shoot. Near cliffs, I've felt objects slamming into my sails, yet see nothing when I look up to identify them. It took us a while to realize they were blasts of wind rolling off the nearby cliffs hitting our sails but not the water. The same goes for sideshore shoreline turbulence at numerous Gorge launches ... 5 or 30 mph, with no discernible pattern or warning.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That,s why local knowledge and windsurfing still works.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idono...
Looking at Tony, Wyatt, Dale, Bruce, and dozens of others, it looks possible to make windfoiling work somewhat at the Gorge.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta add...
Some windfoilers prefer sheeting OUT as opposed to sheeting IN to bring their foils deeper into the water.
Both work, although with TOW, you develop preferences depending on conditions like direction and type of sail.
I'm an old school sheet in slalom sailor, so oversheeting is natural..for me.
For other's, sheeting out and feathering is the go to technique to keep the foil in the water.
Best to learn both.
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Better to anticipate the gust, fly lower, head slightly higher or lot's lower, and weight the boom, sheet IN more and lean more on front foot.
Can't react. Anticipate instead.

I have to agree. This has helped me big time. I found the last few times out I would crank upwind in the gusts, keep my weight forward and keep some weight in the harness lines to keep that mbp( mast base pressure) which helps prevent the foil from breaching. Sometimes it almost felt like I was almost riding nose down(slightly) at higher speeds...so the back of the board was slightly higher then the nose. This would only happen when going at a high speed and high angle upwind. I'm guessing its from being powered up and keeping mast base pressure? Or something also to do with the downward force the wing tips create at higher speeds as Tony L has mentioned before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: