myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Infinity 84 wing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stringp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Infinity 84 wing Reply with quote

Bought the Infinity 84 wing for low wind windsurfing. IMO it offers little it any performance improvements over the 76 and is a bitch to gibe as it won’t stay in the air through the turn. The mast track had to be moved WAY back to get it not to nose down and it would not fly with the big stabilizer in any position.
Has anyone else tried this wing, and has anyone tried the Moses gear?
bert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you stringp., the 76 is a better all round wind than the 84. I use it most of the time when I foil and love it. I don't think it's as durable as the 84 or H2 and has the potential to split if you hit something. I'll use the 84 as a backup or if I should decide to foil my Kona CarbOne again (just for the heck of it).

longboard foiling.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  909.75 KB
 Viewed:  35399 Time(s)

longboard foiling.jpg

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have foiled the 84 and it worked just fine, well enough to get our own foils.

Your problems seem to be a setup issue. According to a very competent foiler who has sailed both the 84 and the 76, the 84 stays up better in jibes and in lulls. He also said the 76 needs more front foot pressure for control. That indicates you'd need to move the foil forward relative to the 76, for example using the C instead of the B position.

The 48 cm rear stabilizer is shown only for SUP use on the Slingshot site, not for windsurf use. The larger area compared to the 42 would move the center of "upward push" (COUP) even further to the back. Unless you can compensate by moving the foil forward (for example by using a PowerPlate), this would negate any positive effects from the larger size.

If you look at the SUP setups on the Slingshot side, you'll see that the foil mount is much further forward than in the windfoil boards. The fuselage is also a lot shorter, which allows better turns but also moves the COUP forward - right under the feet.
stringp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running everything in C position. Slingshot boards are Tuttle box and running everything forward is not possible.
sailworksman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moses 85 foil with 790 wing has to be the easiest, smoothest foil for windfoiling - absolute Cadillac cruising. Super pump-able to get going, and hero-jibes every time. It's a big wing (1,529 cm² like the Infinity 76), but a relatively lean set-up, so it has a wide rideable range from 8 to 20 knots. It's plug and play into Tuttle box boards with a typical windfoil stance of 43-44" mast track position ahead of the front fin bolt, and front straps starting at 21" ahead of the front bolt. It rides well stock or with a 1-degree shim for heavyweights or very light conditions.

The Moses 873 wing is the next step up and is originally a SUP/surf wind that is adaptable for windfoiling. The 873 is massive (2,100 cm² similar to the Infinity 84) and has a take off speed of less than 8 mph. The 873 is not a fast foil, but it keeps you foiling when others are surface slogging. Also a Tuttle box configuration, but the 873 needs 1-2 degrees of shim to balance out, at the above noted mast track footstrap stance. A more aft stance and/or mast track position could negate the need for a shim, but we haven't tried that yet. The photo below is a 873 wing on a Moses 111 mast.

Both the Moses 790 and 873 wings require the new Wind-900 fuselage and cannot be used with the older Wind-838 fuselage that is on the Vento 91/101/111 foils. The Wind-900 fuselage is however compatible with the 91/101/111 masts.

/Bruce

Moses-873.jpg
 Description:
Moses 873 wing
 Filesize:  647.66 KB
 Viewed:  35328 Time(s)

Moses-873.jpg

Last edited by sailworksman on Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
stringp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Moses system scale down to higher winds? Currently I ride the Infinity 76 down to a 2.8 sail then switch to an H4 Space Skate. Problem being that I have to rig a bigger sail,3.7, to ride in the same winds that I get blown off the 76 and 2.8.
Can you buy the Moses gear locally i.e Hood River, or do you have to pay in Euros?
sailworksman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, the Moses Wind-900 fuselage has 873, 790, 633 and 683 wings available. The wing program for Moses is about to expand greatly with a collection of new HA race and LA freeride wings about to drop.

There is also a 639 wing (594 cm²) available for high winds, but that requires the legacy 838 fuselage.

Moses wind foils are in stock and priced in US$ at Sailworks in Hood River.

/Bruce
stringp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa. That raises a lot of questions. So what package is available that is comparable to an Infinity 76 with at least a 90 cm mast that is scalable into the future? Everything that I saw in the Sailworks website says Vento in it.
sailworksman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Moses windfoils are called Vento. The Vento 85 foil has the new 900 fuselage and is scalable to future wings. We have 91 and 101 cm masts in stock that can be swapped if you want something taller than 85 with the new fuse. There are new 105 masts coming later this month too.

/Bruce
stringp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the 900 fuselage have an adapter to Slingshot masts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: