myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 263, 264, 265 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer.
We talked a lot about leashes with single bolt setups and now everyone is introducing much larger foils.
84 for someone 170 lbs seems overkill, especially for 18mph winds.
Guess we gotta choose our gear more carefully now that selection is expanded.
Good you saved your gear.
Longest I ever had to slog win finless was 2 miles without going downwind at all. I suspect slogging tail first would have gotten me upwind.
bert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Da Stick on Sunday Reply with quote

Was about to do some geriatric freestyle when a young black man came up to me and started to rant and rave about how us guys are fucking up the fishing by sailing into their lines and scaring off the fish. He screamed that he's about ready to whup our ass if we keep it up..WTF? I calmly told him that I'm not that guy and would be sailing out yonder ( I pointed towards HW 101). He left satisfied with his chest puffed out. Went out afterwards but sadly, the wind wasn't that good (15 mph) for the 5.0 and freestyle. Swapped to the foil and had a really good hour session. That's what is great about foiling..you never have a wasted day.

Stick on Sunday.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.95 MB
 Viewed:  8176 Time(s)

Stick on Sunday.jpg

Gwarn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: TI Reply with quote

Bert I agree with you about not wasting a day now that I foil.

I wouldn't have gone windsurfing today with the so-so wind and the flood tide, but now that I foil I got out sailing.

721199.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  309.6 KB
 Viewed:  8167 Time(s)

721199.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Showed late at Berkeley, 4:30.
5.0 and Naishfoil in gusts over 20, coulda just windsurfed with my 92 Firewave.
Lost 10 lbs in the last month, so have ridden 85 liter boards at Berkeley well over 25 days this season.
Down to 158 now.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Da Stick on Sunday Reply with quote

bert wrote:
Was about to do some geriatric freestyle when a young black man came up to me and started to rant and rave about how us guys are fucking up the fishing by sailing into their lines and scaring off the fish. He screamed that he's about ready to whup our ass if we keep it up..WTF? I calmly told him that I'm not that guy and would be sailing out yonder ( I pointed towards HW 101). He left satisfied with his chest puffed out. Went out afterwards but sadly, the wind wasn't that good (15 mph) for the 5.0 and freestyle. Swapped to the foil and had a really good hour session. That's what is great about foiling..you never have a wasted day.

STRENGTH IN NUMBERS! Came 4PM ON SUNDAY at the stick. There were 7 of us, so the fishermen left us alone. Five windsurfed on 5.0 to 6.5 meters while two foiled on 4.4 to 5.4. Lighter wind but I was planning most of the time. A foiler was still on the water when I left around 6:30. All in all, a fun day.

1024x1024 strength.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.8 KB
 Viewed:  8153 Time(s)

1024x1024 strength.jpg

Last edited by Goodwind on Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Da Stick on Sunday Reply with quote

Goodwind wrote:

STRENGTH IN NUMBERS! Came 4PM ON SUNDAY at the stick. There were 7 of us, so the fishermen left us alone. Four windsurfed on 5.0 to 6.5 meters while two foiled on 5.0 to 5.4. Lighter wind but I was planning most of the time. A foiler was still on the water when I left around 6:30. All in all, a fun day.

Rob you were the only un-foiled sort of consistently planing!

Another day of absolute foil dominance. I was doing worse than yesterday on my Isonic. The wind dropped the second I went out and the 6.5 was small. Maybe the 7.3 would have been enough or maybe a bigger Isonic and a 8.5 or 9.0 ... but the point is that Robert was going up an down seamlessly with a 5.4 and the F4! At 200 pounds!! To make things worse John took his foil out with a 4.4 and he was going slower but ok.

There is no longer any question in my mind about the superiority of the foil in light wind. Last year I thought that at my weight the Isonic 111 was around the same light wind ballpark ... now that foilers are getting better it is clear that it is not!

Time to stop being a wimp, go back on my foil, and learn the damn thing!
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Coyote Jul 23 Reply with quote

50' sailing time! of which 35' slogging!

Out at 3 pm, powered up with 4.8 from the beach. pass the first buoys and I hit a dead zone. Slog through, and then I am back powered up. I keep going, hey it is windy, eventually turn. Very ugly flood chop, some little swell riding but the wind is just enough. I am getting suspicious, and I veer toward land. Hit the dead zone and ... it is now much longer and weaker, close to zero in places ... it goes all the way to 100 yards from the beach. There I get a little puff.

Get out, think about rigging the 5.4, but it is dropping fast. I take down the 4.8. The wind is now 6.5-7.0 ... ok, time to go home to MTB.

Strangest season ever continues Shocked if this is the new normal we really need foiling!
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges 07-26-2019 Reply with quote

Well got another couple of miles of coasting Santa Cruz in. Fellow windsurfer who did not sail today helped by caddying my sail to the beach from the parking lot. No small favor as at Natural Bridges that is a trek. He also went up on the small bluff and motioned what the big south swell was doing to help me get out.

Windsurfed out to the kelp and tacked up towards the channel. A pod of white-sided dolphins joined me on the crossing of the channel. Very cool. They were treating my big SUPSail board like a boat and porpoising next to it and in front of it.

Sailed out and looked at a trimaran sailing outside, then tacked up the coast to Strawberry Beach. Wind was getting lighter up that way and so I cut short my quest to reach Three Mile and turned tail and headed home.

A bit of a challenge landing as a south swell set came in just as I was ready to land. The life guard helped clear the water of people at the landing zone. I was able to stall on the face of the last large swell of the set and ride the next smaller wave in. But water was reflecting in perpendicular directions off of the rocks and even the beach retreat of the waves were powerful.

Today's track below:
[img][/img]

2019-07-26 Windsurfing Natural Bridges to Strawberry Beach & Back.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.35 MB
 Viewed:  7754 Time(s)

2019-07-26 Windsurfing Natural Bridges to Strawberry Beach & Back.png

windward1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction: Not White-sided Dolphins, but rather either Short-beaked Common Dolphins or Long-beaked Common Dolphins per the fold-out guide I picked up at the Seymour Center when I took my granddaughter there the other day.
bert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Stick on Sunday Reply with quote

At the Stick early for my usual noontime session.. wind was 13-15 so rigged to foil on my 4.7 Naish Lift and JP 135. Just as I was about to hit the water at 12:30, Fred drove up in a Mercedes SUV..WTF? When did he upgrade from his old Nissan Pathfinder?? We exchanged pleasantries and I was glad to see him as I've not seen him since last year and I sometimes wondered if he was still sailing or if he was even still alive Shocked
Seems that he broke his foot skiing in the off season but is itching to sail once it heals. Fred has been my hero for these past 30 years. I would die a happy man if I'm still able to sail at his age (80 yrs young) with the vigor and strength that he has to keep doing it.

good old Fred.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1014.51 KB
 Viewed:  7658 Time(s)

good old Fred.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 263, 264, 265 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 264 of 329

Jump to: