myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Slingshot 105 Wizard
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Slingshot 105 Wizard Reply with quote

If anyone has ridden this particular board, i'd appreciate any comment or your evaluation on how it rides. Is it uphaulable and what kind of wind does it need. I'm in the market for a smaller foilboard and they will likely reduce the price on these boards as the 2020 models roll in.

bert

slingshot_wizard_2019.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.91 KB
 Viewed:  21191 Time(s)

slingshot_wizard_2019.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get in touch with Wyatt, who was riding that board in the US Nationals at Berkeley 4 years ago. At 185, he uphauls it and slogs out at Berkeley.
Gwarn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: 105 Reply with quote

The 105 is all I ride from my 6.1 to 3.4. As for uphauling I don't know I only waterstart. It is plenty floaty even for me at 200+ fat guy if we cross paths you're welcome to ride it.

I'm looking to add a shorter board to the quiver since I only waterstart>Looking at the SS 103 or similar.

20190605_175153.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.43 MB
 Viewed:  21161 Time(s)

20190605_175153.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Gwarn, I forgot your name when I posted. I met another guy from South Bay I thought was you, but wasn't since you don't foil Berkeley too often.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE guy here is 160 lbs young and fit. He rips on that board with the ghost wispier foil. He has no issue up hauling. He gets up on the foil in very little wind. He does pump pretty hard. he is flying as quick as me on the 130 Dialer and 76 wing with the same sail. He did say that you had to learn tobalance both feet behind the mast to up haul..
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 105 Reply with quote

Gwarn wrote:
As for uphauling I don't know I only waterstart.

Shocked Wow! That blows my mind and makes me jealous. Where I live in SW Florida uphauling, big floaty boards, and pumping to plane/foil are essential to being able to windsurf more than a few times a year. At least foiling has reduced the size of the sails we need to get going.

dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwarn big boy, only goes out when it's 15+, which is about 200 days a year.
Me, 155lbs., 2 years with 80 liter and 5.2 as biggest gear, and sailed 90+ days each of those years, having 4 days a week to look for wind.
A consistent spot, although considered a lightwind location, can have 200 days a year of over 15 averages, like Berkeley Ca.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Slingshot 105 Wizard Reply with quote

bert wrote:
If anyone has ridden this particular board, i'd appreciate any comment or your evaluation on how it rides. Is it uphaulable and what kind of wind does it need. I'm in the market for a smaller foilboard and they will likely reduce the price on these boards as the 2020 models roll in.

bert

Hey Bert,

I've ridden the 105... not in a little while, but it was actually the first foil setup I ever rode. Got my first ever flights on it at the Event Site, and then my buddy at Crissy had one, and put a few days on it there, too.

At my weight (~190-195lbs) the board is uphaulable, but it is tricky. It's best to put both feet behind the mast base for uphauling. Also, the 105 is difficult to slog as the nose dives easily. Best for "power slogging" not "limping slogging". With decent wind, it's easy to get going. I find uphauling and slogging the Wizard 105 harder than doing the same thing on my STB 85.

At your lighter weight, you'd get more slogging performance out of the 105. The board is really short and feels magical when flying. One benefit with the short boards is when you over foil and nosedive, the nose is underwater by the time the mast hits.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you guys run nose pads? I do that, plus slapping a pad on the mast. An ounce of protection beats serious repair work and a wet core every time.
bert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 105 Reply with quote

Gwarn wrote:
The 105 is all I ride from my 6.1 to 3.4. As for uphauling I don't know I only waterstart. It is plenty floaty even for me at 200+ fat guy if we cross paths you're welcome to ride it.

I'm looking to add a shorter board to the quiver since I only waterstart>Looking at the SS 103 or similar.

Here's a shorter board that may interest you..it's only 45L in volume! Might be a challenge to tack Laughing

45 liter Slingshot foil board.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.34 KB
 Viewed:  20980 Time(s)

45 liter Slingshot foil board.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: