myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foiling rear foot strap
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of several adjustments, but maybe reacting is a step too late.
Sure, swing boom forward, shift weight forward by head, hips or feet. Oversheet a lot, or sheet out.
Gotta know the options, right?
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be proactive. If you are waiting to see a trend then you'll be behind it. Like landing a plane or riding a wheelie.

I wouldn't change sheeting or attempted to weight the harness.
westwind737

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stabilizer configuration , above vs below fuselage:

Some foils systems are configured with the stabilizer mounted above the fuselage (example: SlingShot HoverGlide, etc), others with the stabilizer mounted below the fuselage (example: Moses, etc).

Advantage / Disadvantage?

Above fuselage: the stabilizer is protected by the fuselage in the event of contact with the bottom in shallow waters. However, the risk of the stabilizer surfacing (actual surfacing or virtual surfacing due to near-surface ventilation) is much increased. This is a very undesirable situation. If the nose-up leverage of the stabilizer is suddenly lost, the board will instantly nose-dive and the resulting crash can be harsh. This problem can be mitigated by not riding near the full mast height. The effective length of the mast is somewhat reduced.

Below fuselage: the stabilizer is likely to be damaged in the event of a ground strike, therefore it pays to be conservative when departing or approaching the beach. The effective useable length of the mast is increased and the stabilizer is less likely to exit the water before the wing.

Alex
jmblaney

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride a Wizard 105 or JP135 with forward and rear footstraps set to the forward position for both. (I'm 5'8", so much shorter than Wyatt.) Both boards sail well on the Slingshot Infinity 76 with the fuse in position B. I also sail the JP135 with a F4 foil, same footstrap positions. I'm only in the back footstrap when close reaching or pointing. I'm still not very fast, but gradually getting there as I gain control and confidence.

The best advice I've read on foiling is from Sailworks' Bruce Peterson and Dale Cook, especially these key points:

"The most counter intuitive part of bringing your speed up and mastering foil control, especially if you have any muscle memory from regular windsurfing, is the need to lean forward and drive the foil down as your speed increases."

"You can't avoid foiling out by sheeting out, as this leaves you standing on the tail of the board without any mast base pressure to help trim the foil down. Instead, sheet in and drive the nose down with your front foot and mast base pressure from the rig."

https://www.sailworks.com/most-common-beginner-windfoiling-mistakes
https://www.sailworks.com/foil-mast-track-placement
https://www.sailworks.com/foil-windsurfing-tips

And a tip of my own: I finally realized that Alameda and Pt. Isabel are often perfect for foiling. Low tide at Alameda is a drag, but I still prefer that walk to the ramps and rocks at Coyote. Isabel is much better now that the launch has been improved and the dogs go elsewhere.

Jeff
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I still breach about 4 times every 40 minutes, so lotsa practice oversheeting to save from getting really wet.
Typical day, but it can reverse, I show up at 4:30, Berkeley, it's reading 10-18 and 3 guys say it's dying..I rig 5.0, get 2 shaky runs..still windsurf 3-1..and gusts come up to 22.
Coulda swaped out the foil for my 92 Firewave, same sail.
Gwarn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: rear foot Reply with quote

I like the hook footstraps in the rear made it easy as I was learning how to drive the foil.

ti72119.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  289.44 KB
 Viewed:  15151 Time(s)

ti72119.jpg

kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Foiling rear foot strap Reply with quote

stringp wrote:
Anyone using rear foot straps of Slingshot gear? Rear foot strap seems WAY back there with the foil in C position. Currently riding with the back foot touching the front of the rear strap. Going to be a leap of faith to get in the rear strap.

Yes, I have my rear strap one hole from the back on the 2019 Wizard 125. I'm in the back strap if I'm grinding upwind. I also like being in the back strap when I'm pumping. If the wind is moderate, then I'll hang out in the back strap. The 2019 rear strap positions are a little bit more forward than on the 2018 boards.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: